A tasty 6-inch chocolate recipe that's so simple to make. The coffee in the recipe really enhances the chocolate flavor.
Preheat toaster oven to 325 degrees or conventional oven at 350 degrees. When baking in a conventional oven use an oven thermometer to check that your oven is accurate.
Prepare two 6 inch cakes pan. Lightly butter or spray like Bak-Klene and lightly dust with flour.
In a large mixing bowl or 8 cup batter bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, and sugar. I use a mesh strainer to sift the ingredients into the mixing bowl.
Add the melted butter and mix with a hand mixer at low speed for about 1 minute. Pour in the oil and continue mixing on low until you have a sandy consistency.
In a measuring cup combine the sour cream, coffee, and vanilla then pour into the flour mixture. Mix on low speed for another minute or so scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed.Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well at medium speed. The batter will be thin.
Pour and divide the batter between the 2 6-inch prepared cake pans.
How long to bake the cake?
Bake in the toaster oven for 22-28 minutes at 325 degrees. The cake is done when a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack before frosting.
You can frost the cake with homemade chocolate buttercream frosting
Buttercream Frosting Directions
- Add the butter to a large bowl and use a hand mixer on medium speed to cream the butter until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar and cocoa powder and beat until combined.
- Slowly pour in the milk and sour cream, continue beating with the hand mixer. Until combined.
- Reduce hand mixer speed to low and mix in the vanilla extract. Add a pinch of salt and continue beating, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Increase speed of hand mixer to high speed and continue beating for another minute or until well blended and smooth.
- Cover and store buttercream frosting in the fridge while waiting for the cake to cool.