Sheet pan dinners are perfect for all of us who cook in a small kitchen. My simple baked Brown Sugar Glazed Chicken recipe is quick to prep and comes out full of flavor. The best and easiest chicken ever, baked to form a crispy crust and tender chicken inside covered with a wonderful sweet orange-brown sugar glaze sauce.
The simplicity of this recipe, with just recipe 5 ingredients, a sheet pan, and parchment paper makes this a perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner.
This recipe is scaled for two people and can also be doubled to serve 4. If you prefer a more orangey flavored sauce just increase the orange juice a little bit.
The 5 main ingredients you need to make Brown Sugar Chicken:
- Chicken- I prefer buying one large chicken breast and slice in half but 2 smaller chicken breast works just as well. Also, it's amazing made with flavorful chicken thighs.
- Potatoes- Baby red potatoes or Yukon golds are my preference.
- Orange Juice - Use bottled or fresh squeezed, both work fine without any noticeable difference in the taste.
- Brown Sugar - Both Light or Dark brown sugar can be used.
- Tomatoes - No cherry tomatoes available, no problem, use regular tomatoes cut into eighths.
I don't add garlic in my brown sugar chicken, the recipe really doesn't need the garlic and tastes oh so yummy with just the simple flavors of the brown sugar and orange juice.
- First, you need to preheat the oven and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Next, make the brown sugar paste and loosen the skin on the chicken and rub the paste underneath the skin of the chicken breast.
- Coat the veggies with the olive oil and arrange everything on the sheet pan.
- Bake and enjoy!
How to the make brown sugar glaze.
A brown sugar glaze is amazingly simple and so flavorful. You really don't even need a recipe, just mix brown sugar and orange juice until you have a thick consistency that's easy to rub on the chicken. The glaze is also great on roasted vegetables.
How to make the chicken breast a day ahead.
Prepare the brown sugar paste and rub the chicken, then store it in a Ziploc bag overnight. When ready to cook, cut up and prepare the veggies then arrange everything on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Brown Sugar Chicken
- 1 large chicken breast bone-in with skin about 1 to 1.5 pounds
- 4 baby red potatoes quartered
- 16-18 cherry tomatoes
Brown Sugar Paste
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- a pinch or two of kosher salt
- about a tablespoon of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix the brown sugar, orange juice to make a paste. If needed add additonal brown sugar to get the correct paste consistency.
- Loosen skin of chicken and the rub the brown sugar paste under the skin, rub remaining rub on chicken skin
- In a medium bowl toss the potatoes and tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil and a dash of salt.
- Line a baking pan with parchment and arrange the chicken breast, potatoes and tomotoes.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees.
- Let chicken set for 5 minutes before serving.
More Great Chicken Recipes