Sheet pan dinners are perfect for all of us who cook in a small kitchen. My simple baked Brown Sugar Chicken recipe is quick to prep and comes out full of flavor. The best and easiest chicken ever, baked to form a crispy crust and tender chicken inside covered with a wonderful sweet orange-brown sugar glaze sauce.
The simplicity of this recipe, with just recipe 5 ingredients, a sheet pan, and parchment paper makes this a perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner.
This recipe is scaled for two people and can also be doubled to serve 4. If you prefer a more orangey flavored sauce just increase the orange juice a little bit.
The 5 main ingredients you need to make Brown Sugar Chicken:
- Chicken- I prefer buying one large chicken breast and slice in half but 2 smaller chicken breast works just as well. Also, it's amazing made with flavorful chicken thighs.
- Potatoes- Baby red potatoes or Yukon golds are my preference.
- Orange Juice - Use bottled or fresh squeezed, both work fine without any noticeable difference in the taste.
- Brown Sugar - Both Light or Dark brown sugar can be used.
- Tomatoes - No cherry tomatoes available, no problem, use regular tomatoes cut into eighths.
I don't add garlic in my brown sugar chicken, the recipe really doesn't need the garlic flavor and tastes oh so yummy just the simple flavors of the brown sugar and orange juice.
- First, you need to preheat the oven and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Next, make the brown sugar paste and loosen the skin on the chicken and rub the paste underneath the skin of the chicken breast.
- Coat the veggies with the olive oil and arrange everything on the sheet pan.
- Bake and enjoy!
How to the make brown sugar glaze.
A brown sugar glaze is amazingly simple and so flavorful. You really don't even need a recipe, just mix brown sugar and orange juice until you have a thick consistency that's easy to rub on the chicken. The glaze is also great on roasted vegetables.
How to make the chicken breast a day ahead.
Prepare the brown sugar paste and rub the chicken, then store in a Ziploc bag overnight. When ready to cook, cut up and prepare the veggies then arrange everything on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
More Great Chicken recipes