A rustic One Pot Sausage and Bean Stew with Chicken makes a wonderful easy comfort food meal. For making this recipe I highly recommend the 3.5-quart Essential Dutch Oven, it has a slightly rounded shape on the bottom, making it perfect for soups and stew. If you only have one Dutch Oven and only need to cook for two or three people then this needs to be in your kitchen.
For a rustic and hearty meal, you can't go wrong with a tasty sausage and bean stew with chicken for any night of the week. The stew is even better the next day o it's a perfect make-ahead meal.
- Chicken - The recipe is made uber easy if you buy already cooked chicken from your grocery deli or hot bar. Use a combination of thighs and breasts for variety.
- Sausages - Another fully cooked option is the Aidells Cajun-style sausage. Aidells makes a variety of flavors so you can fine-tune the stew to fit your personal taste. I've also used a Kielbasa that tasted great.
- Tomatoes - Use a low sodium version of canned diced tomatoes. Drain and rinse lightly. If you use a fresh tomato they absolutely MUST be ripe and flavorful.
- Garlic - Your option is of course freshly chopped garlic cloves, or jarred minced garlic is acceptable.
- Fresh Thyme - If you have an herb garden that's perfect because you can just snip what you need. I buy a package of the fresh "poultry herb mix that also contains rosemary and sage that can be used for other dishes.
- Chicken Broth - Just go with a canned low sodium organic chicken broth unless you have homemade on hand.
- Cannellini Beans - Cannellini beans are white kidney beans,if you can't find Cannellini's in the store, then go with another white bean variety.
Can I make this stew in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can, put all the ingredients into the slow cooker on low for about 2-3 hours. You won't need to cook the stew very long in the slow-coker because all the ingredients used are fully cooked.
What is another type of Beans can I use?
Any bean you like works great with a bean and sausage stew.
Variations of Sausage and Bean Stew
Sometimes I make this without the Chicken breast and thighs and substitute a Chicken Apple Sausage. The fully cooked sausage has a longer shelf life.