Another delicious grandma recipe baked in a small cast-iron skillet. A tasty flaky shortcake recipe that is so simple to make you won't even need to refer to the recipe after you've made it a couple of times. Recipe makes eight small slices to enjoy with ice cream, sliced berries, or all by itself.
One of the things I love about this recipe is you can mix it with a wooden spoon and a hand mixer. Mom didn't have a beautiful Kitchenaid mixer, she used good old arm power. I don't own a stand mixer so all my recipes are either made by mixing with a big wooden spoon or with a portable hand mixer.
- butter - use a good quality butter
- sugar - everyday granulated sugar is fine
- flour - an all-purpose flour
- salt - standard table salt
- egg - large egg
- chocolate chips - don't skimp on these, I use Ghiradelli brand and love the flavor
- vanilla paste or extract - I'm a fan of using a paste, but the extract is just a good.
What's the difference between shortbread and shortcake?
Shortbread is a cookie and is made with a lot more butter and sugar than a shortcake. Shortcake is closer to a scone or biscuit and has a flaky outside and soft on the inside.
How to Store Shortcake
You can make the recipe a day ahead or store leftovers by wrapping in plastic wrap or store in a covered container.
My guess is it won't last long enough to worry about storing leftovers!