This smaller french toast casserole recipe is incredibly easy and perfect for a cozy weekend breakfast, or scaled up for larger group or potluck dish. The maple streusel bread adds a little extra flavor, and recipe is also great made with a cinnamon raisin or Brioche bread.
Use a day old bread to avoid an overly soggy french toast. Leave the bread out overnight or if it’s a last minute breakfast decision, toast the bread lightly, just enough to dry it out a bit.
When pouring the egg and milk mixture over the bread, use just enough to coat ll the piece, you might have a little extra unused or you can also add more bread.
All the other ingredients are mixed up in a measuring cup. Working in small kitchen I try to use as few prep bowls and utensils as possible.
The cream cheese and berries added makes for a great holiday morning breakfast. The recipe can be scaled up for a potluck or freeze the leftovers for a weekday treat.
Serve topped with fresh berries and powdered sugar or drizzled with maple syrup. For a heartier breakfast fry up a few slices of bacon and crumble on top before serving.
An easy weekend breakfast for two or scaled up to serve a larger group.
- 2 egg
- 3/4 cup milk (preferable whole milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3-4 slices of Maple Streusel or Raisin Bread, sliced into 6 sections
- 1 oz cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries; or
- 1/2 medium green apple, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 2 cup measuring cup (or medium bowl), whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon until well combined.
- Evenly distribute the bread in a small baking dish.
- Dot the cream cheese on top of the bread.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread making sure the bread is well coated.
- Cover lightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes until lightly browned and center is fully cooked through. Use a cake tester or fork to make sure the middle is not runny.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes then serve topped with fresh berries, or diced apples and powdered sugar or drizzled with maple syrup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 208mg Sodium: 214mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 18g Protein: 12g