Another delicious grandma recipe for an easy homemade shortcake baked in a small cast-iron skillet. A tasty flaky recipe that is so simple to make you won't even need to refer to the recipe after you've made it a couple of times.
The recipe makes eight small slices to enjoy with ice cream, sliced berries, or all by itself.
One of the things I love about this easy homemade shortcake recipe is that you can mix it with a wooden spoon or a hand mixer. Mom didn't have a beautiful Kitchenaid mixer, she used good old arm power. I don't own a stand mixer so all my recipes are either made by mixing with a big wooden spoon or with a portable hand mixer.
- Butter - use a good quality butter
- Sugar - everyday granulated sugar is fine
- Flour - an all-purpose flour
- Salt - standard table salt
- Egg - large egg
- Chocolate chips - don't skimp on these, I use the Ghiradelli brand and love the flavor and rich chocolatey flavor.
- Vanilla paste or extract - I'm a fan of using a paste for a deeper vanilla flavor
Steps to Make Homemade Shortcake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a 7 inch cast iron skillet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl melt butter in the microwave, use 10-15 second intervals until melted.
- Add the sugar to the butter and using a hand mixer at low speed, mix for about 45 seconds.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour and salt together.
- Gradually add the flour to the butter batter and mix on low for another minute or so, or until you have a smooth well-combined batter.
- Add the vanilla paste and egg to the batter, then mix for another 15 seconds until ingredients are combined.
- With a wooden spoon fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet and bake for 35 minutes. The edges will be well brown with a little bit of crispness.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Grab the edge of the foil and lift it out of the skillet. Let cool another 15 minutes or so before removing the foil and placing it on a serving platter.
- Slice and serve.
What's the difference between shortbread and shortcake?
Shortbread is a cookie and is made with a lot more butter and sugar than a shortcake. Shortcake is closer to a scone or biscuit and has a flaky outside and soft on the inside.
How to Store Shortcake
You can make the recipe a day ahead or store leftovers by wrapping in plastic wrap or store in a covered container.
My guess is it won't last long enough to worry about storing leftovers!