Classic homemade Tomato soup is so easy to make that there is no reason to even consider buying the canned variety. Wondering what to serve with tomato soup? The beauty of a classic tomato soup is you can pair with a light salad or for a heartier dinner cook up grilled cheese.
How to Make Tomato Soup
What type of tomatoes do you use to make tomato soup?
My go-to tomatoes are the canned San Marzano's, sometimes I mix the flavors up and add some the fire-roasted tomatoes. Canned tomatoes are picked and canned in the season so are always ripe and tasty. Since the tomatoes are the star here they need to be full of flavor.
If you prefer to use fresh tomatoes, cut them into larger chunks, line a sheet pan with parchment paper, and roast the tomatoes with onions at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- crushed tomatoes
- chicken broth
- heavy cream
- onion, diced
- olive oil
- garlic cloves
- dried basil
- In a small dutch oven heat the olive oil over a medium-high.
- Saute the onion and garlic, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent garlic from burning.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes to onions and garlic. Stir in the sugar, basil, chicken stock, and heavy cream.
- Bring to a slow simmer and reduce heat to low medium heat and continue cooking for about 15-20 minutes. Stir frequently until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Let cool slightly, for about 10 minutes and transfer mixture to a large deep bowl and using an immersion blender, puree until you have a smooth and creamy texture.
- Return pureed soup mixture to the dutch oven and bring back to a low simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a slice of crusty french bread and a side of fresh fruit for a light supper.
I love making this in my small 1.5 quart Staub Petite saucepan, it's the perfect size for this recipe and stores easily in the fridge if needed.
An immersion blender (this is the one I use) makes for easy creaming of the soup. Transfer the soup mixture into an 8 cup measuring cup, it's large enough and deep enough to avoid any outside splatters. Also, pouring back into the saucepan is easy because of the pouring spout.
What to Serve with Tomato Soup?
Try it with grilled cheese on sourdough bread, try using artisan cheeses and fresh basil or a grilled chicken panini is also nice.
For something lighter go with a mixed green salad topped with tuna or chicken. The soup is also great cold with french baguette and butter, but then what doesn't go well with french baguette and butter!
Tomato soup is all-season comfort food.
If you prefer to use fresh tomatoes check out his video