Greek Yogurt Cheesecake is simple quick and just a bit healthier than a traditional cheesecake without giving up the creamy cheesecake taste. The crust is made with vanilla wafers with added lemon paste which pairs nicely with the black berry topping. I keep several variety of St. Dalfour fruit spread in my pantry for a super quick cheesecake topping.
How to make the Vanilla Wafer Crust
The old fashion way is to break up the wafers into small pieces and put into a large plastic bag, then roll a rolling pin over the bag to crush the wafers. Turn the bag over several time to get all the crumbs finely crushed. The quick way is to use a small food processor like the 3.5 cup Kitchenaid processor, however this involves a little clean-up afterwards. I’ll use my processor when making a larger cheesecake crust, and the bag method when making a small 5-6 inch cheesecake.
- Crush 20-22 vanilla wafers in a plastic bag or food processor.
- Add the butter and lemon extract and mix until moist.
- Press this into the bottom of a greased 6 in Springform pan.
- Press down gently, but firmly until the crust is evenly distributed on the bottom of the pan
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 5 minutes, set aside while you make the cheesecake batter
You use the same process for a graham cracker crust.
A lovely creamy and lighter cheesecake made with a combination of Greek yogurt and traditional cream cheese. The butter vanilla lemon crust pairs nicely with the black cherry topping.
- 20-22 Vanilla Wafers, crushed fine
- 2 tablespoon Butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon Lemon Extract
- 7 ounces plain Greek Yogurt
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 large Eggs
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 5 ounces St. Dalfour Black Cherry fruit spread
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and place the oven rack in the middle.
- Coat 5-inch Springform pans with cooking spray and wrap the outside bottom of the Springform pan with aluminum foil, coming up halfway on the sides.
- Use a small food processor to crush the wafers into fine crumbs
- .In a medium bowl add the crushed wafers and butter. Mix until well moistened.
- Stir in the lemon extract.
- Press the crumbs into the bottom of the Springform pan, the crust will be a little less than ½ inch thick. If you want a thicker crust increase the amount of wafers and butter used.
- Bake the crust for 5 minutes and let cool while preparing the cheesecake batter.
- In a medium bowl mix the cream cheese and sugar, using a hand mixer cream until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add in the Greek yogurt and egg and mix until well blended.
- Pour the batter into the Springform pan and place on the baking sheet. Add around a ½ cup of water to the baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. Any commission earned will not increase the cost to the buyer.