Mom’s Meatloaf recipe is easy, flavorful, and the ultimate comfort food. No formal recipe needed for this comfort food classic. There are so many recipes that it’s truly overwhelming. Go ahead, google the best easy meatloaf and you will get hundreds if not thousands of recipes, then come back and try the simple instructions below.
Many times I don’t cook with recipes, I go into the kitchen and throw together tasty meals with whatever ingredient I have on hand.
Everyone has a meatloaf recipe that Mom made, this one is mine. Make this a few times then start adding or subtracting ingredients to create your own special Meatloaf recipe.
- 1 pound Ground beef
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
- 2/3 cup Ketchup, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, divided
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional: Garlic Powder
- Optional: Parsley for garnish
Which Ground Beef is good for making meatloaf?
Use a regular ground beef which is usually a ground Chuck. Fat adds flavor so don't use anything too lean, I use an 80% lean.
Do you use milk in meatloaf?
I don't, but some recipes call for using milk or another liquid. The milk softens the bread crumbs but I never had any issue, so why add more ingredients than you need.
Drumroll Please! Mom's Meatloaf Recipe instructions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a small bowl mix together 1/4 cup of the ketchup and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, mix together and set aside for later basting.
- Throw 1 pound of ground beef 80% Lean/20% Fat content into a big bowl. Break up into chunks and salt and pepper. Just give the salt shaker a couple of good shakes, and a little more with the pepper. If you like garlic shake in a bit of garlic powder, NOT garlic salt.
- Dice up ½ a medium onion and toss into the bowl.
- Squirt in ketchup, probably about ¼ cup to start.
- Shake in Worcestershire sauce until it just smells right, about 1 tablespoon. It’s a personal preference with the amount. If you really have no idea how much to use then give the bottle a couple of good shakes to start.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat two eggs and mix into the ground beef mixture
- Pour in a ½ cup of plain bread crumbs.
- Use a wooden spoon to get everything mixed up nicely. Compress into a big ball.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and plop the meatloaf onto the lined baking sheet and mold the meatloaf into a rectangle.
- Put the meatloaf into the oven and bake for about 15 minutes then baste with the ketchup Worcestershire sauce. Continue cooking for a total of 60 minutes. Use a thermometer to check the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees to ensure it’s fully cooked.
- I like a little crispy to the sides so I broil at the end for a couple of minutes. Watch it so you don’t burn the top.
- Refrigerate the leftovers for cold meatloaf sandwiches. Yum!
You can also divide the uncooked meatloaf into smaller loaves and freeze for later.
Serve the Meatloaf with classic mashed potatoes or for a change bake a couple of potatoes and top with sour cream and chives.
Mom's Meatloaf will become your go to comfort food dinner.
- Try https://aweekendcook.com/lemon-coffee-cake/ for a light dessert after a hearty comfort food meal.