Growing up, chicken stew with dumplings was in frequent rotation during the chilly Fall weather and an old fashion comfort food that's so easy to make! I love the leftover stew for lunch. , so my recipe is for two but it makes about 4 serving. One bowl just isn't enough!
What you need:
whole roasted chicken
Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium bowl mix Bisquick, butter, apple juice, and milk until the dough is just moistened and forms a soft dough. For tender dumplings, do not over mix the dough.
Set a side the dumpling mix for while preparing the sauce. In a 4-5 quart Dutch Oven or Stockpot heat the milk and stir in 2 tablespoons of Bisquick Mix . This will be the base for a sauce.
Add the carrots and let cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
Add the chicken stock, peas, and cooked chicken.
Bring sauce to a simmer.Use a spoon or cookie scoop to drop the dough onto stew, don’t push it down into the liquid.
Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes, cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes
Time to make
From prep to table in under an hour.
How to make Dumplings from scratch.
When I was young Mom made the dumplings from scratch, in her later years she switched over to using Bisquick. I always have Bisquick in the cupboard and the ingredients handy to make a quick batch of dumplings from scratch. These dumplings have a little extra yumminess by adding apple juice and butter. Feel like some recipe experimenting? Make a half batch of dumplings from scratch and half batch Bisquick then compare the flavor.
If you prefer fewer dumplings, just make the exact number you want in the chicken stew.
If you want a simple from scratch dumpling recipe, try this one.
1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 whole egg, beaten, 1 cup milk
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. With a large fork spoon mix until well blended.
use a tablespoon or small cookie scoop to drop the dumpling dough into the stew. Cook 10 minutes uncovered. Cover pot and cook another 10 minutes.
Should you use pre-cooked chicken or cook your own?
here are three options:
- If you have some chicken in the fridge and a little time go ahead and cook your own chicken. Rub a little olive oil or butter under skin and season with salt and pepper. After seasoning the chicken, pan-fry or roast. When thoroughly cooked, skin and cut the chicken up into large pieces.
- You can also boil the chicken in water and use the liquid instead of store-bought chicken broth.
- Short on time? Buy already cooked whole chicken from a hot bar or deli counter at your local grocery store. Skin and cut the chicken up into large pieces.
In a 4-5 quart Dutch oven heat the milk and stir in 2 tablespoons of Bisquick Mix. This will be the base for a nice thick sauce.
Add the chicken stock and carrots and simmer for 10 minutes. Next, add the peas, and cooked chicken and add the dumpling dough with a tablespoon or cookie scoop. Drop the dough on top of the stew, don't push it down into the liquid.
Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes, cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Once you cover the pot set a timer and don't lift the lid until the 10 minutes have passed.
My recipe for Chicken Stew with Dumplings is easy and a true old fashion comfort food.
Other comfort food recipes to try
- The Best Classic Chili Recipe for Two
- Apricot Chicken Stew Recipe
- Mac & Cheese made with Gruyere and Cheddar Cheeses
- Green Bean and Chicken Casserole Classic