Depending on your personal taste you can adjust this pork stew recipe in a few different ways. Traditionally this pork stew is made with a dark beer, I choose to substitute a beef broth instead. When I went to make the recipe I realized was out of jalapenos, tried the recipe with crushed red pepper flakes, it works great.
If you have never cooked with Tomatillos, they are slightly tart and fruity. Tomatillos are available any time of the year in most grocery stores.
The little 1.5 quart Staub Petite French Oven is the perfect cooking vessel for stews and chili’s for a two person household.
- 1 pound pork loin boneless country style ribs, cut in small 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 Tomatillo's, peeled and diced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 onion sliced thin
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 15 ounce cans black beans with liquid
Sour Cream & Lime
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 Avocado, skin removed and sliced
- Cooked rice
- In a 1.5 quart heavy saucepan combine the orange juice, broth and Tomatillo's. Cook over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, heat oil in large skillet and saute garlic for 1-2 minutes
- Add the pork and brown on all sides.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove pork from skillet and transfer to the Tomatillo mixture.
- In the same skillet brown the onions and add to the Tomatillo and pork mixture.
- Add the Roma tomatoes, crushed red peppers, and cilantro to the Tomatillo mixture and cook over low heat for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Add the Black Beans including the liquid, cook uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.
Sour Cream & Lime
- Mix 1/4 cup sour cream with 1 teaspoon lime juice and chill until ready to serve.
- Cook rice according to package directions right before serving.
- Serve over tomatillo and pork mixture over rice. Top with sliced avocado and a dollop of lime sour cream
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 791 Total Fat: 42g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 28g Cholesterol: 135mg Sodium: 315mg Carbohydrates: 51g Fiber: 15g Sugar: 7g Protein: 53g