It’s October and pumpkins are everywhere! Learn how to make pumpkin butter with this super simple slow cooker recipe. My little 1. 5 quart slow cooker is perfect for these type of small batch recipes.
How to make pumpkin butter in under an hour.
You can certainly make this recipe on the stove top by cooking on a medium heat till it comes to a boil, then reducing the heat to low and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until you have the desired consistency and depth of flavor.
How long will pumpkin butter stay fresh?
Pumpkin butter freezes well, I’ve never frozen it for more than month though so not sure how it will hold up longer term. It will however store nicely in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. Prepare your mason jars by washing in warm soapy water and boiling for a few minutes and let dry before filling.
Whats the difference between canned pumpkin pie filling and pumpkin puree?
Canned pumpkin puree contains only the pureed pumpkin meat, no added spices. Pumpkin pie filling includes the typical spices (cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, nutmeg and sugar) used when making a pie. Using a puree instead of a pie filling gives you control over the amount of spices. For me, I prefer a heavier cinnamon taste. and I’ll leave out the cloves when making a pie or butter.
How to use fresh pumpkin to make pumpkin butter?
Fresh pumpkin needs to be first roasted and then the flesh scooped out before making the pumpkin butter. Don’t use the large pumpkins you find in the pumpkin patch or in stores around Halloween, they are way to stringy. Use 2-3 smaller sugar pumpkins that weigh about 2 pounds each, these are perfect for pies and butters. Cut the stem off the pumpkin and slice the body of the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds.
Next, cut the halves again so each pumpkin is cut into 4 pieces. Place the pumpkin quarters on a parchment lined baking sheet ,with the inside of pumpkin facing down. Roast in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 45 minutes. The pumpkin should be tender. Remove from oven and let cool down before scooping out the pumpkin meat. Proceed with the recipe as written, except you will reduce the amount of apple juice to 1/4 cup. If the pumpkin puree is still too thick, gradually add more water until you have the achieved the desired consistency.
Maple Pumpkin Butter Uses
- Serve warm as an Ice Cream topping
- Stirred into yogurt
- Spread on biscuits or buttered toast
- Add to a pancake mix
- Use in pumpkin bread or muffins
- Dip for fresh sliced apples
- As a classic pie filling
- Over sliced cheesecake
Simple slow cooker pumpkin butter for your holiday table. Great
as a spread on scones or to add some pumpkiny goodness to pumpkin bread.
- 2 (15-ounce) can Libby's 100% pure pumpkin puree (not the pie filling)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a small 1.5 quart slow cooker add all the ingredients and stir to mix well.
- Cook on high setting for 45 minutes.
- Taste and if desired, add more spice to your personal taste as needed.
- Reduce setting to low, stir, cover, and continue cooking for 2 hours.
- Let cool slightly and pour into 4 8-ounce prepared mason jars and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 19 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 2mg Carbohydrates: 5g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 0g