My Apple Chicken Stew has a combination of savory and sweet flavors. The chicken and vegetables provide savory flavors, while the apples add a touch of sweetness. The herbs add depth to the flavor of this simple chicken stew.
The full list of ingredients, detailed instructions, and the recipe notes for Apple Chicken Stew are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. You can use the link above to go straight to the recipe card.
Main Ingredients Notes
- Root Vegetables: Potatoes and carrots are used in the recipe, or you can substitute or add parsnips and butternut squash.
- Chicken: Boneless chicken breast or chicken thighs work well in the recipe. Use one or a combination of the two.
- Apple: I like a tart apple for a little balance; however, you can use whichever apple you like best.
- Dried Thyme: Dried thyme has a slightly minty flavor. When cooked in a stew, it adds depth and complexity to the overall flavor of the dish In a stew, the flavor of thyme tends to be more subtle compared to when it’s used fresh. As the herb cooks, its essential oils are released, infusing the dish with its distinct flavor.
- Caraway seeds: Caraway has a distinctive flavor often described as warm, sweet, and slightly pungent or spicy. They have a slightly bitter taste with a hint of anise or licorice. Overall, the flavor of caraway seeds is quite unique and adds depth and complexity to the stew.
Variations and Substitutions
- I tend to use smaller amounts of meat because I like my stews to be veggie heavy when possible. That being said you can add more chicken or substitute turkey.
- This recipe can also be made vegetarian by adding in a few more vegetables, use a vegetable stock, and remove the chicken.
Quick Tips: 1.) Use an already-cooked Rotisserie chicken. 2.) The stew is really good made a day ahead, and the flavors really develop.
How to Make This Recipe
Step 1: Preheat a slow cooker on high setting.Lightly coat the inside with vegetable oil. Layer the potatoes,onion, carrots, and celery on the bottom of the slow cooker.
Step 2: In a small bowl combine the salt, pepper,caraway, and thyme and sprinkle over the vegetables in the slow cooker.
Step 3: In a heavy skillet, brown the chicken and transfer to the slow cooker.
Step 4: Place the diced apple over the chicken. Pour the apple juice over the chicken. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours.
Alternate Cooking Method.
You can make this in a Dutch oven on the stovetop. Saute the veggies and add in the remaining ingredients. Simmer on low for about 90 minutes. Stir occasionally and add more liquid as needed. Add in the fully cooked chicken about halfway through cooking.
Well, this is so yummy I doubt you’ll have much left, but if you do, just let it cool down, pour it into an airtight container, and store it for up to two days in the refrigerator.
Yes, boneless chicken thighs are great in this recipe.
I like the Granny Smith variety of green apples for the balance of sweet and tart, but you can use your favorite type of apple.
Slow Cooker Apple Chicken Stew
- 2 russet potatoes cubed
- 2 carrots sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 celery stalk sliced thin
- ½ red onion sliced thin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large granny smith apple peeled and diced
- ¾ cup apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ pound boneless chicken breast cubed
- Preheat a slow cooker on high setting.Lightly coat the inside with vegetable oil. Layer the potatoes,onion, carrots, and celery on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl combine the salt, pepper,caraway, and thyme and sprinkle over the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- In a heavy skillet,brown the chicken and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Place the diced apple over the chicken. Pour the apple juice over the chicken. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours.