For a quick and easy weeknight or weekend meal whip up a pot of easy black bean soup with canned beans in less than an hour. Keep the ingredients in your pantry and freezer for a pantry meal option. Perfect meal when you just don't have time to run to the grocery store. Open a few cans, toss everything in a saucepan and let it cook while your taking care of other things.
This recipe takes just 45 minutes including the prep and cook time.
Bush's Spicy Black Beans
Spicy V-8 juice
First you cook the onions until soft and mix in the chili powder. Next, add the tomatoes and cook for a couple minutes, then add remaining ingredients. Bring soup to slow boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 35 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a rolled up warm tortilla for an quick meatless meal.
This tasty soup is ready in just 45 minutes.
- For a creamier soup you can use an immersion blender directly in the pot.
- Substitute frozen corn for canned.
- For a little extra spice add in some red pepper flakes or double the chili powder.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice before topping with sour cream. The lime compliments the black beans nicely.
- Other topping to try; sliced avocado, crumbled tortilla chips, cilantro, or a simple Pico de Gallo.
- Choose low or no salt version of the tomatoes and beans for a healthier soup.
To freeze leftovers, cool the soup then scoop into Ziploc freezer bags and freeze. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove top, or defrost and heat slowly in the microwave.
More Easy Soups