My small-batch Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken is the perfect balance of sweet and savory and just enough for two. Keep a package of chicken in the freezer and the other ingredients in the pantry. With 5 simple ingredients, this flavorful chicken recipe is one of my favorites and I hope yours also.
Looking for more slow cooker recipe ideas? Check out more recipes for a small slow cooker.
Table of Contents
Recipe Ingredients and Substitutions
¾ pound Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon black ground pepper
½ cup Apricot Jam
½ cup Russian Dressing
- Chicken Thighs - The thigh meat has a higher fat content and also more flavorful. You can substitute chicken breast however it tends to cook up drier than the thighs. Best to use chicken breast if you want to reduce the amount of fat.
- Seasoning - Dried onion powder and ground black pepper are the only seasoning you need for this recipe. Some recipes use a onion soup mix but I find using onion powder and black pepper gives a cleaner flavor.
- Apricot Jam - I prefer to use a lower sugar jam, the Bon Marman is just sweet enough, however, you can use whichever brand you like.
- Russian Dressing - Catalina or French dressing can also be used.
All the details are also included in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Lightly spray the bottom of the slow cooker insert with vegetable spray. Season the chicken with onion powder and black pepper. Place the chicken thighs on the bottom of a 3-quart slow cooker.
Spoon the apricot jam over the chicken and top with the Russian salad dressing.
Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit. That's it, so easy and tasty too!
The recipe is loaded with a yummy sauce that goes great served over rice or with steamed vegetables. Also very tasty served with mashed potatoes.
- 3-quart crockpot (←affiliate link) If you are looking for a programmable model this 3.5 quart slow cooker (←affiliate link) from Cusinart is also very nice.
How to store leftovers
Store the leftovers in a covered container and refrigerate for up to 2-days.
In a small bowl or measuring cup mix together ⅓ cup mayonnaise, 2 chili sauce, 2 teaspoons dried minced onion, ¾ teaspoon prepared horseradish, ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, ¼ kosher salt, a pinch of dry mustard, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Stir well.
Did you make this recipe? I would love it if you would leave a comment or review! Be sure to sign up for the email list, or follow "A Weekend Cook" on Pinterest or Facebook. Also, don’t forget to join my “Facebook Group-Recipes for One”
Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken
- ¾ pound Chicken Thighs boneless skinless
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black ground pepper
- ½ cup Apricot Jam
- ½ cup Russian Dressing
- Season the chicken with onion powder and black pepper. Lightly spray the bottom of the slow cooker insert with vegetable spray. Place the chicken thighs on the bottom of a 3-quart slow cooker.
- Spoon the apricot jam over the chicken and top with the Russian salad dressing. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit,
- If doubling the recipe use a 4-quart slow cooker.