A Dalmatian Rub is a mixture of salt and pepper, usually a 50/50 ratio. There are many variations in the type of salt and pepper used to create your sweet and spicy chicken rub. The rub can be a mix of exotic spices or as simple as salt and pepper. Choose your favorite salt and pepper and add in those extras for flavor really pops!
For a simple and classic Dalmation rub use equal parts salt and black pepper, then add one or two extra spices. The spices you select will depend on how hot you want your rub. For that added kick a 2:1 ration of chili powder and cumin. Combine the ingredients in a small jar and mix together.
- brown sugar - add a hint of sweetness to the dry rub
- paprika- a smoked paprika is very tasty
- black pepper & salt
- dry mustard
- garlic powder
- chili powder
How long before cooking do you apply dry rub?
Rubs add flavor to the surface of the meat, it's perfectly fine to start grilling within a few minutes or right after you apply the dry rub.
How long will the dry rub last after mixed together?
Your dry rub should keep for 2-3 months in an airtight container.
How to use dry rubs?
Rubs are used before grilling to add flavor. This spicy rub is great on grilled chicken, chicken thighs, chicken wings, roasted chicken or used with your favorite BBQ rub.
- Simply rub and press the spice mixture onto the meat.
- Another way is to add just enough oil to the dry rub mix to form a paste and then spread the paste onto the meat.. You won't have the crusty coating like you get with a dry rub, but it will be moist and flavorful.
Dalmatian Rub for Chicken
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Mix all the ingredients together in a jar and stir until well combined.
- Store in a sealed jar.
Cooking Tips for Meals with More Flavor in Less Time