My easy small-batch yogurt plum cake recipe is made with a boxed white cake mix and fresh plums. This cake is moist and full of fresh plum flavor in every bite. A wonderful small-batch fruit cake recipe made easy.
Is there anything better than a delicious, fresh yogurt plum cake? This recipe is easy to follow and doesn’t require any complicated ingredients. Plum cake made with yogurt really gives a nice texture to this moist and delicious cake. So what are you waiting for? Start baking!
Ingredients and Variations
- White Cake Mix is the base for the cake. A yellow cake or chocolate mix also works very well.
- Greek Yogurt is used to replace the eggs and oil normally needed for a box cake mix. Using Greek yogurt results in almost pudding cake consistency. If you want a more traditional cake texture then prepare per the package instructions.
- Vanilla Extract or Vanilla paste can be used interchangeably.
- Fresh Plums: Small to medium fresh plums work best for slicing. I use medium-sized plums and line the top edges of the cake, however, you can top the cake with as many plums as you like. The plums bake off beautifully.
- Powdered Sugar is optional but a little sprinkle on the top gives a hint of sweetness and looks nice for presentation. A combination of powdered and brown sugar sprinkled over the cake when it’s still warm from the oven is absolutely delicious in this easy plum cake.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure the oven temperatures are accurate by checking with an oven thermometer. I like this one thermometer sold by Williams and Sonoma.
In a medium bowl use a wooden spoon to mix together the cake mix, Greek yogurt, and water. After mixing stir in the vanilla extract.
Fold in the chopped plums.
Spoon mixture into the parchment-lined 6-inch cake pan. You can also make this in a small springform pan or a cast iron skillet.
Arrange the sliced plums on top of the cake batter.
Bake for 35-40 minutes. Insert a toothpick or cake tester in the center of the cake to check for doneness.
When cake is fully baked, remove from oven, let cool, and…
- If baked in a cake pan, run a knife around the edges of the pan and use the tabs on the parchment paper and then lift the cake out of the pan.
- If baked in a springform pan, run a knife around the edge of the pan and let the cake cool completely. Once cooled carefully open up the springform latch and remove the pan sides.
- Use a batter whisk to easily and quickly mix the batter. I use this dough Dough Whisk from King Arthur Flour and one made by OXO is also available on Amazon Using this unique whisk makes mixing up all types of batter easy.
- To easily remove the plum cake from the pan use parchment paper with tabs that overhang the cake pan.
Ways to serve plum cake
- top with homemade whipped cream
- serve with a scoop of Gelato or sorbet
How to Store Leftover Cake
This yogurt plum cake can be stored for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container at room temperature. To increase the shelf life the cake can also be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
A soft plum won’t hold up to baking. For this plum cake recipe, it’s best to select ones that are a little firm. There are several varieties of plums, some are crispier, and others are very juicy. I usually select a red juicy plum for baking
Plums are in season from around mid-May through October. Here in Southern California, they start showing up in the Farmers Markets around the end of June.
Fresh Plum Yogurt Cake
- 1 ¼ cup vanilla cake mix
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-6 fresh plums chopped and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl use a wooden spoon to mix together the cake mix, Greek yogurt and water.
- Stir in the vanilla extract
- Fold in the chopped plums.
- Spoon mixture into the parchment lined cake pan.
- Arrange the sliced plums on top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Insert toothpick or cake tester in center of cake to check for doneness.