My easy small batch plum cake recipe is made with boxed white cake mix and fresh plums. This cake is moist and full of fresh plum flavor in every bite. Another great small cake recipe made easy.
Ingredients and Variations
- White Cake Mix is the base for the cake. A yellow cake or chocolate mix also works very well.
- Greek Yogurt is used to replace the eggs and oil normally needed for a box cake mix. Using the Greek yogurt results in almost pudding cake consistency. If you want a more traditional cake texture then prepare per the package instructions.
- Vanilla Extract or Vanilla paste can be used interchangeably.
- Fresh Plums: Small to medium fresh plums work best for slicing. I use medium sized plums and line the top edges of the cake, however you can top the cake with as many plums as you like. The plums bake of beautifully.
- Powdered Sugar is optional but a little sprinkle of top give a hint of sweetness and looks nice for presentation.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure the oven temperatures accurate by using an oven thermometer. I use this one thermometer made by Taylor.
In a medium bowl use a wooden spoon to mix together the cake mix, Greek yogurt and water. After mixing stir in the vanilla extract.
Fold in the chopped plums.
Spoon mixture into the parchment lined 6-inch cake pan. You can also make this in a small springform pan or a cast iron skillet.
Arrange the sliced plums on top of the cake batter.
Bake for 35-40 minutes. Insert toothpick or cake tester in center of cake to check for doneness.
When cake is fully baked, remove from oven, let cool and....
- If baked in a cake pan, run a knife around the edges of the pan and use the tabs on the parchment paper and then lift the cake out of the pan.
- If baked in a springform pan, run a knife around the edge of the pan and let the cake cool completely. Once cooled carefully open up the springform latch and remove the pan sides.
Choosing the plums for baking
A soft plum won’t hold up to baking. For this plum cake recipe it's best to select ones that are a little firm. There are several varieties of plums, and some are crispier and other are very juicy. I usually select a red juicy plum for baking.
Light and fluffy plum cake made with fresh plums.
- 1 ¼ cup vanilla cake mix
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-6 fresh plums,chopped and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl use a wooden spoon to mix together the cake mix, Greek yogurt and water.
- Stir in the vanilla extract
- Fold in the chopped plums.
- Spoon mixture into the parchment lined cake pan.
- Arrange the sliced plums on top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Insert toothpick or cake tester in center of cake to check for doneness.
Cakes needs to cook longer than what is indicated on the cake mix box because of the added fruit.
Recipe also works well with fresh peach's or pears.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. Any commission earned will not increase the cost to the buyer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 286mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g
The nutritional information provided here are estimates and are not calculated by a registered dietitian.
When are plums in season?
Plums are in season from around mid-May through October. Here in Southern California, they start showing up in the Farmers Markets around end of June.
Use a batter whisk to easily and quickly mix the batter. I use this dough whisk from King Arthur Flour and one made by OXO is also available on Amazon using the link below. Using this unique whisk make mixing up all types of batter easy.
To easily remove the plum cake from the pan use parchment paper with tabs that overhang the cake pan.