This Polish Cucumber Salad recipe or Mizeria salad, is a quick and easy refreshing side dish made with fresh cucumbers, sour cream and fresh dill. When warmer months arrive and cucumber season is upon us this recipe makes a light summer lunch.
If you have some leftover cucumbers try this Tzatziki Sauce.
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe is versatile and can be made with sour cream, yogurt, or a vegan sour cream. The recipe is great served as a side dish or also as a great accompaniment to broiled fish!
Table of Contents
- Cucumbers: My go-to for this salad is English cucumbers, however, you can use small cucumbers or a standard cucumber. If using a standard cucumber cut it lengthwise and remove some of the seed before slicing. The cucumber should be mostly peeled, leaving just a few slivers of the skin on.
- Sour Cream: Feel free to substitute a low-fat version or use plain yogurt. Both work very well with just slight flavor differences. You can use less sour cream if you prefer a less creamy salad.
- Lemon: Freshly squeezed lemon balances the flavors and complements the dill.
- Fresh Dill: Using a fresh bunch of dill is best and I don't recommend using dried dill.
- Salt & Pepper: Salt is used to intensify the flavor of the cucumbers and the black pepper is for flavor.
- Optional Ingredients: Adding a few simple ingredients like red onion slices to balance this creamy cucumber salad. Add sweetness by sprinkling in some white sugar, or for a nice summer flavor add in a few cherry tomatoes.
See the recipe card for ingredient quantities.
Step by Step Recipe Directions
(Note: please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the complete written instructions.)
Wash and peel the cucumber and slice thin. Add the cucumber slices to a bowl and sprinkle with salt, and let sit for 10 minutes.
Drain any excess water from the bowl and stir in the sour cream and fresh dill.
Add in fresh-squeezed lemon and pepper.
Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- If you are doubling or tripling the recipe, a Mandolin makes this go much faster.
- Chill the cucumber salad for at least an hour to give the flavors time to meld together.
How to Store Leftovers
Store any leftover salad covered in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Stir before serving.
Frequently Asked Question
Yes, use your favorite non-dairy or vegan sour cream substitute. The flavor will be just a bit lighter.
A small Persian cucumber or an English cucumber works great.
More small salad ideas
Did you make this recipe? I would love it if you left a comment or review! Be sure to sign up for the email list and follow "A Weekend Cook" on Pinterest and my Facebook page.
Polish Cucumber Salad
- ¼ English cucumber or about a 4-inch section
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice fresh squeezed
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and peel the cucumber and slice thin. Add the cucumber slices to a bowl and sprinkle with salt, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Drain any excess water from the bowl and stir in the sour cream and fresh dill.
- Add in fresh-squeezed lemon and pepper. Chill until ready to serve.
- Plain yogurt can be substituted for sour cream.
- Adjust the dill to your personal taste.
- Slice the cucumber thin.
Thanks for coming! Let me know what you think or share a tip.