Nothing says summer like a Mini fresh strawberry custard pie. This fresh and creamy dessert is made with Bird’s Custard Powder. The chocolate biscotti crust is filled with custard filling and topped with perfectly ripe and juicy fresh strawberries.
You can purchase already-made biscotti or try this homemade version from NY Times. The crust can also be made with French shortbread cookies, simple graham crackers crust, or a simple mini rustic pie crust.
- The biscotti cookies are a little different and just as easy as making a graham cracker crust. I used chocolate biscotti cookies, but vanilla biscotti makes a nice crust
- Sugar is used for both the Birds custard and to sweeten the biscotti crust lightly.
- Butter is used to moisten and hold together the crust.
- Instant Vanilla pudding makes this recipe quick and easy. Alternatively, you can use Birds Custard powder which cooks up a classic English custard. You can also substitute another pudding flavor or pastry cream.
- You can use whole or reduced-fat milk to make the pudding or custard. When making instant pudding, use cold milk.
- Strawberries are the star; make sure they are perfectly ripe and juicy.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Crush the biscotti into a fine crumb; break up the cookies and place them in a plastic Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crush them into a fine crumb. You will have about 1 cup of crumbs. In a bowl, combine the biscotti crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Mix until all the crumbs are moist.
Divide the biscotti crumbs between the individual tart pans. Press down on the bottom and up the sides. Bake for about 6-8 minutes until the crust turns a golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the filling.
In a small saucepan, combine the custard powder, sugar, and milk. Stir frequently till the mixture comes to a boil. Let cook for a couple of minutes and divide between the 2 tart pans. Set aside and let cool.
Arrange the sliced strawberries on top of the cooled custard and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Small cream pies are the perfect small-batch dessert recipe, and this pear tart is amazing. Rather than have one pie, then make it a 6-inch pie plate.
If you like this tart you might also like these pies
Strawberry Custard Pie
- 4 biscotti cookies crushed fine
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons butter melted
- ¼ package about 1.25 ounces instant vanilla pudding
- ½ cup cold milk
- 8-10 strawberries hulled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Crush the biscotti into a fine crumb, Break up the cookies and place them in a plastic Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crush into a fine crumb. You will have about 1 cup of crumbs.
- In a bowl combine the biscotti crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Mix until all the crumbs are moist.
- Divide the biscotti crumbs between 4 individual tart pans. Press down on the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake for about 6-8 minutes until the crust turns a golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the filling.
- If you don’t care for the flavor of biscotti this recipe is fantastic with a basic graham cracker crust.
- !make the filling
- In a small bowl whisk together the pudding mix and milk until begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.
- Arrange the sliced strawberries on the top of the cooled custard and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.