This is the best small-batch recipe for whipped cream with just three simple ingredients. The recipe is just enough to top a small chocolate cream pie or two strawberry shortcakes. Its also wonderful served over individual pumpkin pie or a mini apple crisp!
Small Batch Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar optional
- Place mixing bowl and whisk in freezer for about 15 minutes to chill.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla into the cold bowl. If making a stabilized whipped cream also add the cream of tartar.
- With a hand mixer on high speed, whisk until stiff peaks form, about 1 minute.
This is a basic recipe everyone should know how to make.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – A heavy whipping cream produces a creamier whipped cream. that will hold its shape longer.
- Sugar – just a bit of confectioner sugar is great for the classic sweetness of a homemade whipped cream recipe. Depending on your taste, honey can be used in place of the confectioner sugar.
- Vanilla Extract –for classic whipped cream use vanilla extract. You can also experiment with other extract flavors.
Always use cold heavy cream, a chilled bowl, and chilled mixer beaters when making this classic whipped cream. Place the utensils in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to get a nice chill. Remove right before you are ready to whip up the whipped cream!
Combine all the ingredients into the chilled mixing bowl and use a hand mixer on high and whisk for about a minute until stiff peaks form. Once it forms stiff peaks, about 2 minutes or less, stop, it’s ready.
My KitchenAid Hand Mixer comes with a whisk attachment, but if you don’t have the whisk attachment, the standard beaters also work.
Serve immediately or cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Now you know how easy it is to make homemade whipped cream you will never buy frozen or aerosol whipped cream again.
For a different taste replace the vanilla extract with another flavor extract that will compliment your recipe.
Replace the sugar with honey for an exquisitely simple flavor.
How to Make Stabilized Whipped Cream
For some recipes, you may want your whipped cream to hold its shape longer. What a bummer when your pretty whipped cream topping deflates and looks so unappetizing. To solve this problem you should know how to make stabilized whip cream, it’s easy and the whipped cream will hold it’s shape for a couple of days.
To make stabilized whipped cream that will hold longer in the refrigerator, add 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar at the same time you add the sugar to the whipping cream.
Cream of Tartar is used to help stabilize whipped egg whites, prevent sugar from crystallizing, and yes stabilize the heavy cream.
How to use homemade whipped cream
- On Fresh Fruit
- For a Chocolate Cream Pie
- Garnish on a Cream Cheese Pie
- A dollop on a Berry Trifle
- The classic hot chocolate topping
How to store your whipped cream
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- You can even freeze homemade whipped cream for a couple of months. When ready to use thaw in the refrigerator for 5-6hours.It gets a little runny upon thawing but you can use a hand mixer to bring it back to a nice consistency.