Fresh Tomato and Basil Pasta Salad is a perfect summertime light meal or side dish to bring to a backyard BBQ or potluck. The recipe serves four, but can be doubled to make a larger batch. I use a ton of garlic, I LOVE garlic. The grated Parmesan or Romano cheese finishes it off nicely.
The recipe calls for Penne Rigate, the pasta those little groves in it. I prefer the grooved pasta since the marinade grabs on better.
Perfect for a summertime light lunch. Taste great chilled or at room temperature.
- 18-20 grape tomato's, cut in half
- 2 cloves garlic, pushed through a press
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped or ripped
- 2 cups dried penne rigate
- Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine everything but the basil leaves and penne. Set aside 30 minutes so the tomatoes have time to marinate.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain (don't rinse) and add the cooked Penne to the tomato mixture.
- Add the basil.
- Toss the Penne until well mixed.
- Top with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- Serve at room temperature.
The prep time includes time needed to cook the Penne pasta.
Can also be made with thick spaghetti.
The longer the tomatoes marinate the more deep the flavor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. Any commission earned will not increase the cost to the buyer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 8mg Sodium: 191mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 7g