Fresh Tomato and Basil Pasta Salad is a perfect spring or summer light meal or side dish to bring to a backyard BBQ or potluck. The recipe serves four but can be doubled to make a larger batch. I use a ton of garlic, I LOVE garlic. The grated Parmesan or Romano cheese finishes it off nicely.
The recipe calls for Penne Rigate, it the one with the groves on it. I prefer the Rigate pasta since the marinade grabs to the pasta better.
What you need:
extra virgin olive oil
red pepper flakes
fresh basil leaves
dried penne rigate
Parmesan or Romano cheese
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine everything but the basil leaves and penne. Set aside 30 minutes so the tomatoes have time to marinate.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain (don’t rinse) and add the cooked Penne to the tomato mixture.
- Add the basil.
- Toss the Penne until well mixed.
- Top with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- Serve at room temperature.
Now that’s easy and it tastes even better the next day!