My Mediterranean Quiche recipe for one is a perfect light summer meal. The Gruyere cheese gives the quiche a lighter flavor and lets the olive shine through. The basil and tomato complement the olive and cheese nicely.
This quiche recipe was inspired by my puttanesca recipe. I always have olives left over and I don't like a waste. The combination of olives, tomatoes, and basil pairs wonderfully with eggs.
Table of Contents
- Pie crust: The easiest crust is to use an already made refrigerated pie crust like one from Pillsbury or try this homemade mini pie crust recipe. You only need about ¼ of the sheet. The unused portion can be cut and frozen for use later.
- Egg: Just one egg is mixed with the milk to create a creamy egg custard during cooking.
- Milk: A whole milk or cream make the quiche very rich and creamy, however, a low-fat milk works.
- Cheese: My go-to cheese for quiche is Gruyere, for that delicate flavor.
- Basil: Fresh basil is always preferred but you can use dried if that's all you have. Alternately, oregano or an Italian herb mix can be used.
- Tomatoes: Cherry or grape tomatoes.
- Olives: You can pick up a couple of olives from an olive bar or use canned sliced olives. Don't use the chopped as they are just too mushy. Use your favorite olive, black olive, kalamata, or Spanish olive all work well.
See the recipe card for ingredient quantities.
Recipe Step by Step Directions
Roll out the pie crust and line a small quiche dish with crust. Fill in any breaks or holes in the crust.
Line the crust with parchment paper, and add some pie weights to keep the crust from shrinking while baking.
Place the dish on a small baking dish and bake at 400° F for 10 minutes. parbaking the crust will keep the crust from getting soggy.
Let the crust cool for a few minutes and layer the cheese, olive, tomato, and basil on the bottom of the baked quiche crust.
In a small measuring cup whisk together the milk, egg, and pinch of salt.
Pour the egg batter into the prepared quiche pan and place it on a small baking sheet.
Bake at 375° F for 20 minutes.
How to Store Leftovers
f you have leftovers, refrigerate and serve the next day or freeze by wrapping tightly in saran wrap and covering with foil. The frozen quiche will last for several weeks in the freezer, however, for optimal flavor, I prefer to use it within a week or two.
- 4-inch Tart pan: I used the Pillivuyt Petite Tart pan is the perfect size for quiche and single-serving pies. They also make larger sizes.
- Whisk: This size works well when mixing in a small bowl or measuring cups
- Grater: Fine grating the cheese helps it to melt properly during cooking.
Don'tover cook the quiche, if you do the quiche will be dry. The quiche will cook properly within 20 minutes as long as your oven is accurate. If cooking in a standard oven I suggest occasionally testing your oven temperature with an oven thermometer. I rarely use my full-size oven and use my countertop Breville Smart Oven (←amazon affiliate link) for about 90% of baking and roasting.
A light and creamy individual Mediterranean inspired quiche filled with ripe tomatoes, olive, and fresh basil. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup
- ¼ cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon black olives, chopped
- 2-3 cherry tomatoes, diced
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roll out the pie crust and line a small quiche dish with crust. Fill in any breaks or holes in the crust.
- Line the crust with parchment paper, and add some pie weights to keep the crust from shrinking while baking.
- Place the dish on a small baking dish and bake at 400° F for 10 minutes. par-baking the crust will keep the crust from getting soggy.
- Let the crust cool for a few minutes and layer the cheese, olive, tomato, and basil on the bottom of the baked quiche crust.
- In a small measuring cup whisk together the milk, egg, and pinch of salt.
- Pour the egg batter into the prepared quiche pan and bake at 375° F for 20 minutes.
- Par bake the crust to avoid a crust with a soggy bottom.
- Let the crust cool slightly before filling.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 214mgSodium: 615mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 13g
The nutritional information provided here are estimates and are not calculated by a registered dietitian.