Baked Artichoke & Spinach Dip is a favorite dip at parties and potlucks and requires just a few minutes to prepare and baked to bubbly goodness. What's not to love here, a creamy dip loaded with spinach, garlic, and flavorful marinated artichokes. Perfect served with warm crusty bread, crackers, or crispy tortilla chips.
This recipe for artichoke and spinach dip is perfect for parties because is so easy to make ahead!
- Cream Cheese - The base of the dip is cream cheese. I use the full-fat version, but you can also substitute low-fat cream cheese or Neufchatel also works nicely in the recipe.
- Sour Cream – I use sour cream however, mayonnaise can be substituted. I've seen some recipes using Greek yogurt, I have not tried it myself but think it would also work well in the recipe.
- Artichoke Hearts – I use the Progresso marinated artichoke hearts, the oil adds a little something to the flavor of the dip. The canned artichokes can also be used and should be drained and rinsed before chopping. If you use canned artichoke hearts, add a ½ teaspoon of basil.
- Canned Spinach – I prefer to use canned spinach for this recipe. To easily drain the canned spinach, open the can, and turn out into a small bowl, don't spoon it out. Press the spinach down lightly to release the liquid and then pour the liquid out of the bowl. Canned spinach is the least messy way for me. If you use frozen spinach thaw and press the spinach out to get as much of the water out as possible. You don’t want a runny dip.
- Cheeses- I use a combination of Parmesan, Gruyere, and Pecorino cheeses. You can also substitute Mozzarella for the Pecorino and Swiss or Gouda for the Gruyere. Again the choice of cheese is a personal preference, just select softer cheeses that melt well.
- Garlic – My preference is using a garlic paste, it saves time and mixes well. If you prefer to use fresh garlic, it should be pressed not minced.
Can I use fresh spinach instead of frozen or canned?
yes, however, frozen spinach is my second choice over the canned spinach. Also , if you prefer to make the artichoke spinach dip with fresh spinach you will need to cook and chop it first.
Heat some olive oil in a skillet and Cook the fresh spinach for a few minutes, until it's wilted and cooked down. Let the spinach cool down and using a paper towel press the excess liquid. It's important o drain the spinach well.
How to Make Baked Artichoke and Spinach Dip
- Mix cream cheese and sour cream until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the cheeses and garlic.
- Fold in the Spinach and Artichoke Hearts.
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Bake until bubbly, about 15 minutes, then broil for a minute or two to get a browned top.
- Serve warm with chips, crackers or bread.
How long will the dip last in the fridge?
The dip will stay fresh for up to two days covered in the refrigerator. If you are making this for a potluck or party making a day ahead is fine.
Can I make the dip ahead
To make ahead prepare the recipe through step 4, cover, and store in the refrigerator overnight. When ready to serve remove from the fridge and let reach room temperature and bake per the recipe instructions
Can you freeze spinach dip?
To freeze, prepare the recipe through step 3. Transfer the uncooked dip to a freeze safe covered container or freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight n the refrigerator. When ready to cook, transfer dip to a baking dish, add the cheese then bake.
Creamy and rich baked spinach and artichoke dip.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (6 ounces) jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- ¾ cup canned or frozen spinach, drained
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup gruyere cheese
- ¼ cup pecorino cheese
- 3 tablespoon garlic paste
- With a wooden spoon cream together the cream cheese and sour cream.
- With a wooden spoon mix in the Parmesan, Gruyere, garlic paste until well combined.
- Fold in the artichoke hearts and spinach and mix well.
- Coat a medium-size baking dish with cooking spray and pour in the dip mixture.
- Sprinkle the pecorino cheese on top and bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes or until the top is browned and edges are slightly crispy.
- Broil for about 2 minutes to lightly brown the top.
- Serve warm with baguette slices or crunchy tortilla chips.
Adjust the amount of garlic and cheese to your personal taste.
Reccipe can be doubled for a party or potluck.
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 594mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
The nutritional information provided here are estimates and are not calculated by a registered dietitian.
More Tasty Dips