A classic homemade Pico de Gallo with avocado is a wonderful and versatile salsa recipe! Made with simple ingredients including fresh tomatoes, onion, red pepper flakes, cilantro, lime juice, and avocado for a flavorful and fresh Mexican inspired dip.
Try this Avocado Pico de Gallo recipe with tacos, burritos, as a sauce over fresh fish or chicken or dollop on vegetarian chili.
Tomatoes – The tomatoes must be nice and ripe, Campari’s and Roma work great. The tomatoes should be chopped fine and discard the seeds.
Avocado – Fresh avocados are my first choice but you can also use packaged avocado from Wholly Avocado and even frozen avocado from Target's brand Good and Gather.
Onions – My first choice is red onions, but you can also use yellow or brown, or white onions. Red onion has a bit of spicy flavor while a white onion is a little sweeter and milder than brown or red onions.
Cilantro – Load up on fresh cilantro for that classic Mexican flavor.
Limes – If you won’t serve the Pico until later or if making ahead of time, add extra lime juice to help prevent the avocado from browning.
Red Pepper Flakes – I use the red pepper flakes in my Pico, jalapeno is the classic ingredient to add a little heat but I find the red pepper flakes are easy and provide enough heat to the recipe.
A couple of dashes of Salt.
Add the avocado cubes to a small bowl and use a fork to mash up the avocado. I like to leave a few small chunks.
Add the tomatoes, cilantro, and red pepper flakes.
Mix together and stir in the lime juice. Cover and refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving.
What to Eat with Avocado Pico de Gallo
- Classically with tortilla chips
- Top on pan fried fish or grilled chicken.
- Instead of salad dressing use this over a green salad.
- Use as an ingredient in tacos and burritos.
- As a sandwich spread on cheese sandwich.
- Spread on crostinis and serve as an appetizer.
- Serve over eggs for breakfast.
The two share some similarities but there are a few differences. Salsa has thinner consistency with more liquid than Pico de Gallo.
Pico de gallo is always made using fresh ingredients fresh. Salsa can be made cooked or canned tomatoes.
Salsa can be made with more variety of ingredients than Pico de Gallo. Lastly, the two are made differently with Pico de Gallo using freshly chopped ingredients and Salsa usually involves using a food processor or blender to puree the ingredients for a smoother texture.
Did you make this recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below?
If you enjoyed this recipe please SUBSCRIBE to my weekly recipe email and Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest.
Avocado Pico de Gallo
- ½ large Avocado ripe, cubed
- 1 Tomato small seeded, and diced
- ¼ cup Red Onion minced
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh Lime juiced
- Pinch of Salt
- Add the avocado cubes to a small bowl and use a fork to mash up the avocado.
- Add the tomatoes, cilantro, and red pepper flakes.
- Mix together and stir in the lime juice. Cover and refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving.
- This is a mild dip, increase the red pepper flakes or add hot sauce to increase the heat level.
- The recipe can be doubled.
- Use a very ripe Avocado.