A simple and delicious recipe for slow oven roasted grape tomatoes. This is an excellent side dish that pairs well with fish, chicken, or pork. One of my favorite easy recipes is simple and so delicious! Wonderfully sweet and full of flavor these yummy tomatoes make an excellent side dish to any meal. I hope you enjoy them!
- Grape tomatoes - These oval-shaped tomatoes are usually red or yellow in color. They are a member of the cherry tomato family and are incredibly sweet and flavorful.
- Seasonings - I used individual spices m however a Italian spice mix works very well. For a little extra you can add fresh sprigs of oregano or basil leaves.
- Olive Oil - I prefer to us an extra virgin olive oil or you could substitute a vegetable oil or avocado oil with very good results.
- Sugar - Even though these tomatoes are naturally sweet adding in a little sugar really brings the flavor out.
Step by Step Recipe Directions
Preheat the oven to 225°.
Slice the grape tomatoes lengthwise in half. Place in a medium bowl and sprinkle with sugar and let sit for a few minutes for the tomatoes to absorb some of the sweetness.
Add the olive oil and seasoning. Toss to coat the tomatoes and garlic halves. Add more oil if needed.
Spray a small baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange the tomatoes cut to side up on the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet on the center rack and slow roast at 225° for 90 minutes
If using later, cover and store in the refrigerator.
Tip: Rotate the pan halfway through roasting.
Use a rimmed baking sheet like this ¼ sheet pan (←amazon link) from Nordic Ware. This size baking sheet is a must-have when cooking small batch recipes.
How to store
Store leftover roasted tomatoes covered in the fridge for 2-3 days. I store mine in a small mason jar.
Suggested Ways to Serve Roasted Tomatoes
There are endless possibilities for how to enjoy these roasted grape tomatoes. Here are a few suggestions:
My favorite way to use roasted tomatoes is in a spaghetti sauce. It's so easy; heat some olive oil in a skillet, chop the roasted tomatoes and sauté for a few minutes. Add a little extra fresh basil and chopped olives then toss with cooked pasta. Oh so easy and yummy!
- Serve as a side dish with chicken, fish, or pork
- Add to a salad for a pop of flavor and color
- Toss with pasta and freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Smash and serve on lightly toasted french bread
- Use as a pizza topping
- Add to scrambled eggs, it's over the top tasty!
Yes, Cherry tomatoes and Roma varieties work very well.
Yes, increase the oven heat to 325 and roast for about 45 minutes.
These slow-roasted grape tomatoes are marinated with Italian seasoning and olive oil. Great as cooked into a spaghetti sauce,as a side dish with chicken, or top on a green salad.
- 1 pint Grape tomatoes, halved
- 6-8 Garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried Basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground Black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 225°
- Place the halved grape tomatoes in a small bowl and sprinkle with the sugar, let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and seasoning. Toss to coat.
- Pour the bowl of tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil onto the baking sheet Arrange most of the tomatoes cut to side up
- Place the baking sheet on the center rack and slow roast at 225° for 90 minutes.