Step back in time with this old-fashioned fresh apple cake recipe is the perfect size for 2 or 3 people. It's moist and just sweet enough for an afternoon snack. The soft chunks of apple melt in your mouth.
Step back in time with this old-fashioned fresh apple cake recipe. It's moist and just sweet enough for an afternoon snack.
- ¾ cup cake flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat toaster oven to 300 degrees. Line the bottom of a 5 x 7 baking dish with parchment paper and lightly spray the dish with oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar, sour cream, and egg, about 2 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and lemon juice.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient until just combined.
- Dice the apples and sprinkle with the cinnamon then fold the apples into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and tap the pan to even out the batter.
- Bake on the lower rack of a toaster oven for 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before removing from pan.
- Remove from pan and lightly dust with the confectioner sugar.
- Slice into six smaller or four larger servings.
Optional: Add chopped walnuts or pecans.
Cut the apples into unifrm sized pieces so they cook evenly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 218mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 5g
The nutritional information provided here are estimates and are not calculated by a registered dietitian.
This fresh apple cake is tasty and it's also extra easy to make. No mixers needed.
Cake Flour: it really does make a difference, cake flour has less protein and creates less gluten which produced a nice soft crumb.
Baking Soda: don't forget the baking soda, you need this for a nice rise to the apple cake.
Salt: the salt not only enhances the flavor it helps with the texture.
Butter: In this recipe, I opt for salted butter, you can also substitute a neutral flavor vegetable oil.
Sugar: Granulated sugar for the cake and Confectioners sugar for dusting on the finished cake.
Egg: One whole egg
Vanilla Extract: use pure vanilla extract or paste.
Lemon Juice: freshly squeezed lemon has a better flavor
Sour Cream: the sour cream adds a little more moistness to the cake and replaces milk. I always have sour cream in the fridge, but not much milk around the house. You can also substitute the sour cream with plain yogurt.
Apple: I always have apples in the house and will cook with whatever I have on hand. A tart apple like granny smith is always a good choice. You can also substitute fresh Pears, especially if you are the holiday recipient of Harry & David Pears and don't know what to do with all those Pears.
Cinnamon: a classic baking spice that you can adjust according to your own taste. If you like you can also shake a little nutmeg and ginger or go heavier with the cinnamon.
I like this apple cake dusted with powder sugar, however you can substitute a cream cheese frosting.
Add the ingredients into a medium bowl and using a hand mixer on low mix together 4 ounces cream cheese, 1 tablespoon of butter , ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract and ½ cup of powder sugar. Taste the frosting and add more sugar to your personal taste.
Fresh Apple Cake Instructions
Mix the wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix together.
Fold in the chopped apples.
Pour batter into baking dish.
Bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit n the bottom rack of the toaster oven for 45-50 minutes. This setting is for my Breville Smart Oven, I did not use the convection setting.
If using a regular oven. bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit and check after 35 minutes.
Let cool and remove from pan and dust with powdered sugar. This is the small Emile Henry Baking Dish I use for the apple cake.
Cut the apple cake into 4 or six slices and serve just as is.
How to store fresh apple cake?
This recipe is made with fresh apples, so you'll want to store it in the refrigerator. Cover with saran wrap or place in a covered container. The cake can be store for 2-3 days.
- This small version of old fashioned fresh apple cake is perfect to bake in paper pans and wrap up for holiday gifts.
- Substitute the apples with fresh pears.
- Add some nutmeg and ginger to the recipe for a holiday flavor.