Making graham crust for cheesecake or pies is incredibly easy! I tend to go for the basic graham cracker crust and might add a few extras to mix it up a bit. Sometimes add a teaspoon of vanilla or lemon extract depending on the filling I’ll be using.
How to Crush Sheets of Graham Crackers for Pie Crust
This recipe requires crushing the sheets of graham crackers or other cookie ingredient into a fine crumb. These are three easy ways to accomplish the crushing part of the process.
- Use a small food processor on pulse to the desired consistency. I'll use a food processor when making a larger cheesecake and pounding all those amount of crumbs would just take to long.
- Use a rolling pin to crush the ingredient. I have two ways of accomplishing this. First break up the cookies into small pieces and place in a large zippered storage bag. Lay the bag flat and start rolling, turn over a few times until finely crushed.
- If you don’t want use a plastic bag, another option is to cut two large pieces of parchment paper and place the small bits and pieces in between and start rolling.
I use the rolling pin method most often since I find it relaxing and it reminds me of being in the kitchen with my Mom. I think I made my first graham cracker crust at the age of 6!
- Graham Crackers -for the best crust use a regular graham cracker, the coated or cinnamon varieties make an overly sweet and artificial tasting crust.
- Butter - unsalted if you have it, otherwise salted is okay to use. I try and reduce the sodium whenever possible
- Sugar - Use Granulated sugar for the classic like Mom made crust, well like MY mom made :-).
Easy No Bake Instructions
Combine ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until all crumbs are moist.
Press crumbs into a 9 inch pie palate, 8 x 8 casserole dish or 8-inch Springform pan.
Press some of the crumbs about ½ up the the side of the pan. Tap crust with the bottom of glass to compact all the crumbs.
Should I pre-bake my crust?
Pre-baking the graham cracker crust before filling is not necessary and is an optional step. If you want a crispier crust then you can bake 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 6-7 minutes.