A small-batch lemon coffee cake baked in a six-inch cake pan is perfect for a two-person household. You just might have a little leftover to take to work to enjoy with your Monday morning coffee.
Why you will enjoy this coffee cake recipe
The cake is soft and moist with a tender crumb and full of fresh lemon flavor. Made with simple ingredients this cake is delicious as an afternoon snack with coffee or a sweet morning treat
I'm a pushover for lemony desserts and lemon bread. The coffee cake is also great topped with fresh raspberries. I got a little impatient and decided to bake and photograph right away so I could dig in!
Use your imagination and envision plump red raspberries gently nestled on top of this tasty coffee cake! I think I need to bake another one tomorrow after a quick mid-week run to the farmer's market for those raspberries.
How to Store Leftovers
Room Temperature: the coffee cake will stay fresh for about two days when stored at room temperature. Place the coffee cake on a plate or in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
Refrigerator: the coffee cake will stay fresh for up to three days when stored in the refrigerator. Place the coffee cake on a plate or in a container with a tight-fitting lid. I
Freezer: the unglazed cake can be frozen for up to two months. Wrap the coffee cake tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place it in a freezer-safe container or bag. Thaw coffee cake overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
For extra lemony goodness, slice the cake in half and spread some homemade lemon curd in between.
If you enjoy my 6-inch lemon coffee cake you might like my equally delicious plum cake.
Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Creamy Lemon Glaze
- ⅓ cup sifted powdered sugar
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees.In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until nice and fluffy, about 90 seconds using a hand mixer on the low setting.2 tablespoons cream cheese, ¼ cup butter
- Beat in the sugar until well blended or "creamed."½ cup sugar
- Beat in the egg.1 egg
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl, then add to the batter mixture.¼ teaspoon baking soda, ¾ cup flour, ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and milk. Mix to combine well.¼ cup milk, 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Spoon the batter into a 6-inch cake pan or two mini loaf pans and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350º F for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted comes out with just a few crumbs. Careful not to overcook.
- Set aside and let cool while you make the lemon glaze.
- Remove from pan, place on serving dish, and drizzle with lemon glaze. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar.
Creamy Style Lemon Glaze
- 1. Mix all lemon glaze ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup and stir with a small whisk until well blended and smooth.⅓ cup sifted powdered sugar, 3 ounces cream cheese, ½ tablespoon milk, 2 tablespoon lemon juice