A small batch lemon coffee cake baked n a six-inch cake pan is perfect for a two person household. You just might have a little leftover to take to work to enjoy with your Monday morning coffee. I'm a sucker for lemony desserts and bread. The coffee cake is also great topped with fresh raspberries. I got a little impatient and decided to bake and photograph right away so I could dig in!
Use your imagination and envision plump red raspberries gently nestled on top of this tasty coffee cake! I think I need to bake another one tomorrow after a quick mid-week run to the farmers market for those raspberries.
What you need:
- Cream Cheese
- Granulated Sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Lemon juice
- Baking powder
- Heavy cream
To make the cake
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl beat the cream cheese and butter until nice and fluffy, about 1- 1/2 minutes with a hand mixer on low setting.
- Beat in the sugar until well blended or "creamed".
- Beat in the egg.
- In a small bowl mix the flour and baking powder then add to the batter mixture.
- Add the lemon juice and mix.
- Spoon the batter into a 6 inch cake pan or mini loaf pans, spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted comes out with just a few crumbs on it. Careful not to overcook.
- Set aside and let cool while you make the lemon glaze.
- Remove from pan and place on serving dish and drizzle with the lemon glaze.
- Sprinkle top with powdered sugar.
To make the lemon glaze
- Mix all lemon glaze ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup and stir with a small whisk until well blended and smooth.
10 minutes of prep and 20 minutes baking time, ready in 30 minutes.