My old-fashioned potato salad recipe is incredibly easy and tastes better than anything you can buy in the supermarket.
Homemade potato salad is good anytime of the year. Great for brown bag lunches, picnics, or BBQ's. Make a larger batch for an office potluck.
- Potato - Peeled russet work great. If you use a red potato leave the peel on.
- Celery- the celery needs to be finely chopped and always good to remove the strings from the celery, but it's not critical.
- Onion -
- Pickles- Sweet Pickles or bread and butter pickles are really good. Some people even prefer the flavor of Dill pickles in their potato salad recipe. Use whatever you have on hand for your own unique taste.
- Mayonnaise - this recipe calls for plain mayo, however, you can use a garlic mayo for a little extra oomph.
- Mustard - plain yellow mustard is the classic ingredient, or if you like a little more heat use a Dijon mustard.
How to make old fashioned potato salad
- Boil potatoes until tender. Be careful not to overcook otherwise the potatoes will turn to mush when you mix in the other ingredients. let cool down completely before adding the other ingredients.
- In a medium bowl combine the mayonnaise, yellow mustard, and sweet pickle juice. Adjust the amounts to your personal taste preference.
- After the potatoes have cooled add in the celery and onions, mix together
- Next, add in the mayonnaise mixture slowly until you get a creamy consistency.
- Chill before serving.
Can I microwave the potatoes instead of boiling?
Absolutely, sometimes when I want a firmer potato I'll microwave instead of boiling. Leftover baked potatoes are also good to make this old fashioned potato salad recipe