This lovely French Chicken Stew recipe is a weekend favorite of mine. On a Friday night on my home from work I'll pick up the ingredients and cook the stew up on Saturday morning. The stew will last all weekend!
The sauce is reminiscent of a creamy tomato soup and has a slight sweet taste. Adjust the amount of apple juice to your personal taste.
- Chicken Breast- use one large boneless skinless breast and cut it into large pieces. The recipe can also be made with chicken thigh meat.
- Butter -
- Onion - use a brown or yellow onion.
- Baby Red Potatoes - I mean the really tiny baby red potatoes if you use anything larger, half or quarter to a uniform size to make sure the potatoes cook evenly.
- Carrots -
- Garlic - fresh minced garlic is preferred but you can also use the tubed Chunky Garlic paste.
- Stewed Tomatoes - I like Muir Glen Organic tomatoes. If you don't like the taste of stewed tomatoes then use a low sodium diced tomato. If you have a bunch of fresh tomatoes that might go to waste then you can substitute fresh for canned.
- Apple Juice - I keep small bottles of Martinellis in the pantry to use for recipes.
- Chicken Broth - If you have a homemade chicken broth that will always be the best to use. When cooking small I frequently only need a smaller portion of chicken broth and don't want to open and waste a can of broth, so I always have a jar of organic "better than bouillon" in my fridge.
- Herbs - dried thyme and tarragon are better than fresh.
- Salt & Pepper - use kosher salt, redmans is easily found in most grocery stores. In my opinion, table salt with iodine imparts a not so pleasant taste.
What to do with leftover sauce from the french chicken stew?
If you have any sauce leftover after the chicken and potatoes are long gone, just freeze the remaining sauce for later use. The sauce is also great over cooked rice or as a dipping sauce with fried zucchini.
Visit A Weekend Cooks Small Kitchen Store for great recommendations on the best products to use when cooking in your small kitchen and whipping up recipes for two.