A Northern Italian style easy spinach tortellini soup recipe made with cheese tortellini, vegetable broth, tomatoes, and spinach. If you prefer a heartier soup, substitute meat tortellini or a combination of cheese and meat tortellini for a surprise in every bite. The V-8 juice in the recipe makes for deeper flavor in a shorter cooking time.
I've always preferred the more delicate broth version of tortellini soup to the heartier classic version that is cooked in a thicker tomato sauce. Basic Tortellini in broth is often served in Northern Italy as a first course. However, with the addition of tomatoes, herbs, and spinach make this a nice light and tasty meal.
My recipe uses a pre-made packaged Buitoni Three Cheese Tortellini easily found in your chain supermarkets. If you're so inclined to make the Tortellini from scratch please let me know how it went!
This is a quick, easy, and very tasty recipe that is perfect for a light dinner or lunch.
If you have leftovers the soup should be stored tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can freeze, but if you do, I suggest only freezing the broth and not the tortellini. It's easy to thaw and toss in a fresh batch of tortellini.
Like broth-based soups? check out Small Batch V8 Vegetable Soup Recipe
vegetable broth/spicy V-8
diced Italian tomatoes
red pepper flakes
fresh baby spinach
salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil and add the garlic and shallots. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently so the garlic doesn't burn or brown.
- Add the water, broth/spicy V-8, tomato's, basil, red pepper, and bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally.
- Once the soup begins to boil lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and cook according to the package instructions
- Right before the Tortellini is fully cooked,about 5 minutes, add the spinach and stir to combine.
- cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, enough time for the spinach to wilt.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in a bowl topped with grated Parmesan cheese.
Serve with fresh bread and a crisp salad for a full meal.