An easy and exotic Moroccan inspired slow cooker Moroccan chicken recipe. The flavors meld together nicely for a delicate fragrant mix of sweet and spicy. This a great recipe to make the day ahead.
Why you will love this recipe
- Full of deep flavors with spices, tender apricots, and succulent chicken take an ordinary chicken stew over the moon delicious.
- An easy apricot chicken stew to make ahead because it tastes even better the next day!
- Just 2 main ingredients and assortment of spices are used to make this dish.
- Just put everything in the slow cooker and create an amazing chicken stew!
Table of Contents
Main Ingredients and Substitutions
1 tablespoons tomato paste
½ tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 /2 teaspoon garam masala
¾ cups canned great northern beans, drained & rinsed
1 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon cornstarch
6-ounces chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
1/ 4teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons dried apricots, chopped
Garam Masala - A mixture of ground spices, usually black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, nutmeg, and turmeric. The spice provides a hint of a curry flavor. If curry flavor isn't your thing, substitute individual spices of your choice.
Great northern beans - Common substitutes are chickpeas or small white beans, if preferred it's okay to leave the beans out completely. Potatoes can also be used in place of beans.
Cornstarch - used as a thickener for the sauce.
Chicken - Boneless and skinless chicken thighs are best, but you can also use a chicken breast. Thighs seem to hold up better in the slow cooker thighs and a very flavorful.
Dried Apricots - If you don't have dried apricots you can substitute apricot preserves . My go to jam is Bonne Maman, St.Dalfour also makes a nice all fruit apricot jam.
All the details are also included in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Lightly coat the inside of the slow cooker with vegetable spray and preheat on the high setting.
In a small microwave-safe bowl mix the tomato paste, vegetable oil, paprika, and garam masala. Microwave for about 30 seconds, just until fragrant.
Pour the mixture into the bottom of a 3-quart slow cooker.
Add the beans to the slow cooker.
Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and transfer to the slow cooker.
In a bowl or measuring cup whisk the cornstarch in the chicken broth and pour it over the chicken.
Cover and cook on "high" for 4 hours.
Uncover and stir in the dried apricots, recover, and let sit on the "warm" setting for 30 minutes before serving.
How to Store leftovers
Cool completely and stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat or in the microwave.
Did you make this recipe? I would love it if you would leave a comment or review! Be sure to sign up for the email list, or follow "A Weekend Cook" on Pinterest or Facebook. Also, don’t forget to join my “Facebook Group-Recipes for One”
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken Stew
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoonn vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¾ cups canned great northern beans drained & rinsed
- 1 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 chicken thighs boneless & skinless
- Dash salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried apricots chopped
- Lightly coat the inside of the slow cooker with vegetable spray.
- In a small bowl mix the tomato paste, vegetable oil, paprika, and garam masala. Microwave for about 30 seconds, just until fragrant. Pour the mixture into the bottom of a 2-quart slow cooker.
- Add the beans to the slow cooker.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Whisk the cornstarch in the chicken broth and pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on "high" for 4 hours.
- Uncover and stir in the dried apricots, recover, and let sit on the "warm" setting for 10 minutes before serving.