This short ribs beef stew is succulent and tender, and paired with the complex flavors of the parsnips and carrots, this stew is nothing short of amazing!
✔ Main Ingredients Notes
The recipe card below includes the full list of ingredients, detailed instructions, and recipe notes for beef short rib stew.
- Short Ribs– The longer short ribs cook the more tender they become making them perfect for a low and slow cooked stew.
- Rutabaga, Carrots, and Parsnips – These vegetables are generally available year-round and add fabulous flavor to the stew. The parsnips look like carrots but are much sweeter and have a nutty flavor, while the rutabagas are less sweet and take on an almost potato-like flavor when cooked.
📖How to Make The Recipe
If not cooked long enough, they can be tough. You want to cook them to the point of almost falling off the bone. This is why cooking in the slow cooker is perfect.
Yes, sear the beef short ribs as directed in the recipe, and then add them to a dutch oven along with the vegetables, aromatics, liquid, and seasonings. Simmer on low for 2-3 hours or until the beef short ribs are tender. Just be sure to check the liquid level and add more broth or water as needed to keep the ribs covered.
Yes, beef short ribs stew freezes well. Allow the stew to cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. Freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, thaw the stew in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat in a pot over medium heat until warmed through.
How to Store Leftovers
Let stew cool down and store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. The stew makes a great make-ahead dinner.
Short Rib Beef Stew
- 2 slices onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 bone-in short ribs
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 carrots sliced thick
- 2 parsnips sliced thick
- 6 small red potatoes halved
- 2½ cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Lightly coat the bottom of the 4 or 5-quart slow cooker with olive oil and place the onion slices along the bottom.
- Season the short ribs with the salt and pepper. In a heavy skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and brown on all sides.
- Transfer the browned beef to the slow cooker placing on top of the sliced onions.
- Add the beef broth,water, red potatoes carrots, parsnips, garlic and thyme. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour and melted butter to make a paste. Uncover and stir in the flour paste. recover and cook for an additional 30 minutes.The stew should now begin to thicken. Check the short ribs have reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
- The parsnips impart a slightly sweet flavor to the stew.
- Rutabaga can substituted for potatoes.
- Stew can also be cooked on low for 7 hours plus on high for 30 minutes.