I've always been a big fan of this classic and easy Sunday Boneless Rib Roast recipe cooked oh so slow in a dutch oven. I'll cook up to a 3-pound roast in a 5 quart Le Creuset Oval Dutch oven. This one pot meal cooks faster than my trusty slow cooker and serves up a beautiful roast.
Cooking one pot meals low and slow in a dutch oven makes the meat juicy and the potatoes don't turn to mush. The complete meal is made in one pot, how great is that.
Vegetables: Tossing the vegetable with a bit of balsamic and olive oil makes a beautiful glaze on the vegetables.
Seasoning the roast: A nice cut of beef doesn’t need much more than salt and black pepper and maybe some added garlic powder for us garlic lovers. It's important to season the roast well to bring out the natural beef flavors.
Pan juices: To develop flavor of the pan juices saute the onions and garlic and you can also add some red wine. The pan juices will make a beautiful Au Jus or as a base for tasty creamy gravy.
A bone-in rib roast (prime rib) is elegant, but I always choose a boneless rib roast because with only two people I'd need to cook one rib, and then it's really a chop, not a roast! Since I'm cooking for two people and we both love leftovers, (think cold roast beef sandwiches) a 3-pound roast really provides.
This has been my go-to easy Christmas Dinner recipe for years. Add a bottle of wine, homemade cherry pie, a holiday movie and you'll have one cozy Christmas curled up under the glow of the Christmas tree lights.
Sunday Roast Shopping List
- The Roast I use boneless Rib roast but another cut of beef will work nicely.
- Olive Oil is my go-to but it;s not critical so use whichever oil you prefer in cooking.
- Beef Broth is essential and use a low sodium version or better yet, an organic fresh beef broth.
- Pearl Onions taste great and look nice, but you can use a chopped onion.
- The Fresh Garlic cloves are optional but I like to toss a few in whole to roast with the beef.
- The Balsamic Vinegar coated on the vegetables is my no so secret ingredient.
- The classic vegetable combo are carrots, baby potatoes, and red yam
- Seasoning are simple and include salt, pepper and garlic powder.
My favorite cuts of beef for a Roast
- Chuck Roast. Also called pot roast. An inexpensive cut that has marbling throughout, making it a great choice for one-pot cooking.
- Boneless Rib Roast. This cut is also called a ribeye and is great for a Sunday Roast dinner.
- Bottom Round Roast. Also called a rolled rump roast. An inexpensive cut with really nice marbling for a tasty roast.
Why Cook a Roast in a Dutch Oven
Cooking in a dutch oven will give you a tender inside, a lightly crisp outside, and amazingly tasty vegetables.
Don't have a dutch oven then go with the classic roasting pan.
I save my slow cooker roast for summer when the last thing I want to do is heat up the kitchen!
Should you cook your Boneless Rib Roast covered or uncovered?
It should be uncovered to allow the outside to brown.
Temperature for Doneness and Safety
The USDA says to cook beef roasts to a minimum internal temperature of 145 °F as measured with a food thermometer before removing from the oven. For safety and quality, allow the meat to rest for a while, for about 10-15 minutes before slicing. For reasons of personal preference, you may choose to cook meat at higher temperatures. The easiest way to check a roast for doneness is to use an instant-read thermometer like this one. You won't be able to determine if a roast that's pink in the center has reached a safe temperature of 145 °F without a food thermometer.
Don't poke at the roast too much because you don't want hose juices to drain out of the roast. Insert the thermometer at the thickest part of the roast.
What can you use if you don't have a Dutch oven?
If you don't have a dutch oven then use a deeper oven-proof skillet like a deep cast-iron skillet will also work. This works because you don't need to cover the roast.
What sauces that go well with this Roast?
How to Make a Red Wine Au Jus
In a large measuring cup add 1 cup of pan dripping, 1 cup of Beef broth, ¼ cup of red wine, 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce. Mix it together with a whisk and pour back into the roast pan, heat until nice and bubbly.
How to Make a Creamy Horseradish Sauce
In a small bowl mix together 8 ounces sour cream, ½ cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish, 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons of Balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Make sure to mix it well and cover and chill until ready to serve.
What's for Dessert?
Visit A Weekend Cooks Small Kitchen Store for great recommendations on the best products to use when cooking in your small kitchen and whipping up recipes for two.