I've always been a big fan of this classic and easy Sunday Boneless Rib Roast recipe cooked oh so slow in a dutch oven. I'll cook up to a 3-pound roast in a 5 quart Le Creuset Oval Dutch oven. This one-pot meal cooks faster than my trusty slow cooker and serves up a beautiful roast.
Cooking one-pot meals low and slow in a dutch oven makes the meat juicy and the potatoes don't turn to mush. The complete meal is made in one pot, how great is that.
Looking for something smaller, try this perfect little pot roast for one.
Table of Contents
Vegetables: Tossing the vegetable with a bit of balsamic and olive oil makes a beautiful glaze on the vegetables.
Seasoning the roast: A nice cut of beef doesn’t need much more than salt and black pepper and maybe some added garlic powder for us garlic lovers. It's important to season the roast well to bring out the natural beef flavors.
Pan juices: To develop flavor of the pan juices saute the onions and garlic and you can also add some red wine. The pan juices will make a beautiful Au Jus or as a base for tasty creamy gravy.
A bone-in rib roast (prime rib) is elegant, but I always choose a boneless rib roast because with only two people I'd need to cook one rib, and then it's really a chop, not a roast! Since I'm cooking for two people and we both love leftovers, (think cold roast beef sandwiches) a 3-pound roast really provides.
This has been my go-to easy Christmas Dinner recipe for years. Add a bottle of wine, homemade cherry pie, a holiday movie and you'll have one cozy Christmas curled up under the glow of the Christmas tree lights.
Sunday Roast Shopping List
- The Roast I use boneless Rib roast but another cut of beef will work nicely.
- Olive Oil is my go-to but it;s not critical so use whichever oil you prefer in cooking.
- Beef Broth is essential and use a low sodium version or better yet, an organic fresh beef broth.
- Pearl Onions taste great and look nice, but you can use a chopped onion.
- The Fresh Garlic cloves are optional but I like to toss a few in whole to roast with the beef.
- The Balsamic Vinegar coated on the vegetables is my no so secret ingredient.
- The classic vegetable combo are carrots, baby potatoes, and red yam
- Seasoning are simple and include salt, pepper and garlic powder.
My favorite cuts of beef for a Roast
- Chuck Roast. Also called pot roast. An inexpensive cut that has marbling throughout, making it a great choice for one-pot cooking.
- Boneless Rib Roast. This cut is also called a ribeye and is great for a Sunday Roast dinner.
- Bottom Round Roast. Also called a rolled rump roast. An inexpensive cut with really nice marbling for a tasty roast.
Why Cook a Roast in a Dutch Oven
Cooking in a dutch oven will give you a tender inside, a lightly crisp outside, and amazingly tasty vegetables.
I save my slow cooker roast for summer when the last thing I want to do is heat up the kitchen!
If you like my Sunday roast recipe try my popular Meatloaf recipe. If you are looking for classic chicken comfort food recipes try my Chicken & Dumplings. This small one pound slow cooker Tri-Tip is perfect for two.
Temperature for Doneness and Safety
The USDA says to cook beef roasts to a minimum internal temperature of 145 °F as measured with a food thermometer before removing from the oven. For safety and quality, allow the meat to rest for a while, for about 10-15 minutes before slicing. For reasons of personal preference, you may choose to cook meat at higher temperatures. The easiest way to check a roast for doneness is to use an instant-read thermometer like this one. You won't be able to determine if a roast that's pink in the center has reached a safe temperature of 145 °F without a food thermometer.
Don't poke at the roast too much because you don't want hose juices to drain out of the roast. Insert the thermometer at the thickest part of the roast.
What can you use if you don't have a Dutch oven?
If you don't have a dutch oven then use a deeper oven-proof skillet like a deep cast-iron skillet will also work. This works because you don't need to cover the roast.
What sauces that go well with this Roast?
How to Make a Red Wine Au Jus
In a large measuring cup add 1 cup of pan dripping, 1 cup of Beef broth, ¼ cup of red wine, 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce. Mix it together with a whisk and pour back into the roast pan, heat until nice and bubbly.
How to Make a Creamy Horseradish Sauce
In a small bowl mix together 8 ounces sour cream, ½ cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish, 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons of Balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Make sure to mix it well and cover and chill until ready to serve.
It should be uncovered to allow the outside to brown.
Don't have a dutch oven then go with the classic roasting pan.
More Roasts and What To Serve With It?
Did you make this recipe? I would love it if you left a comment or review! Be sure to sign up for the email list and follow "A Weekend Cook" on Pinterest and my Facebook page.
Dutch Oven Boneless Rib Roast and Vegetables
- 6-quart Dutch Oven
- 3 pound rib roast rib eye
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 onion sliced
- 5-6 peeled garlic cloves optional
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 carrots sliced inch thick
- 10-12 baby potatoes whole
- 1 small red yam slice thick
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Place roast on a shallow baking sheet and sprinkle salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce, and set aside while you prepare the vegetables.3 pound rib roast, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- In a large bowl toss the potatoes, carrots, garlic, and yam with the balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and set aside.2 tablespoons olive oil, 5-6 peeled garlic cloves, ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 10-12 baby potatoes, 1 small red yam, 2 carrots
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a 5-quart oval dutch oven. Transfer roast to 5 Quart Dutch Oven and brown roast on all sides, ending with the fat side facing up.
- When browned add the beef broth, onions, potatoes, yams, garlic, and carrots.1 onion, ½ cup beef broth
- Place in preheated oven and roast uncovered for about 3 hours. Use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness. Cook additional time based on how you prefer your roast.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing into this tasty roast beast!
Sometimes you just want an easy and simple steak, read how to cook the perfect steak. For more classic small batch comfort food ideas check out my one pan Sunday Roast dinner
Looking for a smaller roast for one person? Check out this yummy recipe for a chuck roast for one
What's for Dessert?
My Lemon Berry Trifle for Two is a great ending to a hearty meal. Or, if you want something rich and creamy nothing beats my Cheesecake with Fresh Blackberry Sauce
Is the cooking time and temperature for a well done roast? 300 for 3 hours. Will this be tough?
As long as you don't use a lean cut of beef the slow and low cooking will give you a tender and tasty roast.
I have 2 large super thick ribeye steaks. I know most ppl wouldn’t roast them but it’s way to much meat to eat at once. Do you think this recipe would work for them?
A Weekend Cook
I havent cooked steaks this way before, but you might try using the recipe and reducing the cook time, make sure to use a thermometer to check for doneness. During the final phase of cooking remove the steaks and sear in a hot skillet to get a nice crust on the steak. if you try it let me know how it worked. Next time I cook steak, I'll also try it and post and update.
I am trying this tonight, I have my oven set @ 325° & am gonna see what it looks like @ 1.5hrs & then decide if I should check the temp w/ a meat thermometer. I will update & Let you know how it goes!
Yes, please do. Also, I'm a big fan of instant-read meat thermometers.
when do we add garlic? I read the recipe over and over, couldn't find where they come in.
A Weekend Cook
I actually make the recipe two ways and decided to post my recipe without the garlic, because not everyone like so much garic, and then forgot to remove the garlic from the ingredient list. When I make this with garlic, I toss the garlic cloves with the other vegetables and sprinkle around the roast and cook with the other vegetables. The result is a soft creamy garlic clove that's perfect for spreading on bread or smushing over the roast. I updated the recipe and thank you so much for asking! I'm still new to sharing my recipes. 🙂
Candida L Riccardelli
Easy Sunday Rib Roast Dinner in a Dutch Oven
I was making this recipe. In the ingredients you have Balsamic Vinegar, but in the instructions you have Worcestershire Sauce. Which is it?
A Weekend Cook
Thank you for catching my omission, It's actually both. The Worcestershire, about 1 tablespoon is used on the roast and the balsamic is used for the vegetables. if you make the roast please let me know how you like it, it's one of my favorite recipes.
My wife tried your Dutch Oven recipe and was AMAZING Thanks