Here it is, the best small-batch classic chili recipe made with ground beef, beans, and chili seasoning that’s fast and easy to make any night of the week. With just one pot or dutch oven and a few simple ingredients, you have a hearty meal for any night of the week.
Growing up my father was the Chili maker in our house and he made the best classic chili with just a few simple ingredients. He always said the secret was to use ground beef in the chili that has enough fat, a good choice is to use 80% lean beef with 20% fat.
Chili tastes even better the next day or even a few hours later in the day, so make a pot of chili on a Sunday morning and reheat for Sunday dinner.
Cooking the Chili in a dutch oven makes this recipe a simple one-pan meal.
What to Serve with Chili?
Top your Chili with a dollop of sour cream and serve freshly baked cornbread on the side. Simple, Classic, and Easy.
Another way I love to serve chili is to make chili burritos, use a large flour tortilla and fill with Chili then top with sour cream and avocado. Roll up the filled tortilla the same way you would a burrito. So Yummy!!
If not everyone likes spicy Chili, leave out the red pepper flakes, and those who want can add it afterward.
How to Make Homemade Chili Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine. If you are not using it immediately, store it in a small, air-tight container. For the best flavor, use it within three months.
What goes with chili?
Classic Chili Recipe for Two
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 pound ground beef 20 percent fat
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 –1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 5 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in a 3 quart dutch oven over medium-high heat and saute the onions, green pepper and garlic until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and using a wooden spoon break up the meat, then add the cayenne powder and chili powder, cook the ground beef thoroughly stirring occasionally to brown and cook evenly.
- Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, lime juice, and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Sprinkle the red pepper flakes over the chili. Lower heat to medium and continue cooking for 30 minutes
My Other Chili Recipe
More One Pan Meals You Might Enjoy
French Chicken Stew Recipe