Here it is, the best classic chili recipe made with ground beef, beans, and chili seasoning that's fast and easy to make any night of the week. With just one pot or dutch oven and a few simple ingredients, you have a hearty meal for any night of the week.
Growing up my father was the Chili maker in our house and he made the best classic chili with just a few simple ingredients. He always said the secret was to use ground beef that has enough fat, a good choice is to use 80% lean beef with 20% fat.
Chili tastes even better the next day or even a few hours later in the day, so make a pot of chili on a Sunday morning and reheat for Sunday dinner.
Cooking the Chili in a dutch oven makes this recipe a simple one-pan meal.
- vegetable oil
- green bell pepper
- ground beef
- cayenne powder
- chili powder
- can kidney beans
- can diced tomatoes
- can tomato sauce
- lime juice
- red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in a 3-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat and saute the onions, green pepper, and garlic until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and using a wooden spoon break up the meat, then add the cayenne powder and chili powder, cook the ground beef thoroughly stirring occasionally to brown and cook evenly.
- Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, lime juice, and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Sprinkle the red pepper flakes over the chili. Lower heat to medium and continue cooking for 30 minutes
What to Serve with Chili?
Top your Chili with a dollop of sour cream and serve freshly baked cornbread on the side. Simple, Classic, and Easy.
Another way I love to serve chili is to make chili burritos, use a large flour tortilla and fill with Chili then top with sour cream and avocado. Roll up the filled tortilla the same way you would a burrito. So Yummy!!
If not everyone likes a spicy Chili, leave out the red pepper flakes, and those who want can add it afterward.
How to Make Homemade Chili Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine. If you are not using it right away then store it in a small air-tight container. For best flavor use within 3 months.