This is a classic eggless chocolate cake recipe, for one. As a bonus, this cake is also made without milk or butter! And that's not all, and it cooks in just 2 minutes in the microwave.
Espresso powder and chocolate chips have been added for a more decadent chocolatey flavor. The cake uses pantry ingredients and is ready in just a few minutes. Now you can have a moist chocolate cake anytime, no eggs or butter required!
❤️What to Love About This Recipe
- made without eggs
- made without butter
- Made without milk
- ready in under 10 minutes
- deep chocolate flavor
- moist and light texture
Table of Contents
✔ Main Ingredients Notes
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder-For this recipe, I used a natural cocoa powder like Hershey's.
- Vegetable Oil -I use corn oil, but you can also use olive oil.
- Vinegar- Use a standard distilled vinegar with 5% acidity. Apple cider vinegar can be substituted.
- Leavening- This recipe uses ½ teaspoon of baking powder, or you can use ¼ teaspoon of baking soda. Make sure the powder is fresh; otherwise the cake might not rise.
- Chocolate Chips -The mini chips are optional but really add to the flavor.
✎ How to Make The Recipe
(Note: please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the complete written instructions.)
Step One: In a medium bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, espresso powder, and a dash of salt.
Step Two: Make a small indentation in the dry ingredients and add the ½ teaspoon vanilla extract and 2 teaspoons vegetable oil.
Step Three: Mix the vinegar and water in a small glass and pour into the dry mix. Use a whisk or fork and mix the ingredients together until smooth.
Step Four: Fold in the chocolate chips (optional)
Step Five: Pour the cake batter into a 10-ounce baking ramekin or a microwave-safe cake pan or large mug.
Step Six: Microwave on high for 90 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on the wattage of your microwave.
Serve with frosting topped with homemade whipped cream. Keep it dairy-free and serve it with fresh sliced fruit.
📖Sydney's Recipe Notes
- For best results, use fresh cocoa powder and baking powder.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Helpful Tools For This Recipe
- 10-ounce microwave-safe ramekin
- Small whisk
More dessert recipes made without eggs
Chocolate Depression Era Cake
- 5 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon espresso powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon water
- ½ teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips optional
- In a medium bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- Make a small well in the center of dry ingredients and add the vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the vinegar and water .Use a small whisk or fork to mix until smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into a 10 ounces microwave safe ramekin.
- Depending on your microwave wattage, microwave between 1 minute 30 seconds and 2 minutes.