This Microwave Nutella Mug Cake Recipe is an easy, delicious, and decadent dessert that can be prepared in just a few minutes. The minimal ingredients and small size of this easy dessert make it ideal for satisfying a chocolate craving when you don't have much time.
What Makes This The Best Nutella Mug Cake Recipe
- A Nutella mug cake is an incredibly easy and fast recipe. You can have a delicious dessert ready in minutes with just a few simple ingredients.
- This fluffy cake is perfect when you want a sweet treat but don't want to make a whole cake or dessert. The Nutella mug cake is a single serving, so you can indulge your sweet tooth without overindulging.
- If you're craving something sweet, a Nutella mug cake can be a satisfying way to curb your cravings without having to go out and buy or bake an entire cake.
- Mug cakes are highly customizable, so you can tweak the recipe. You can add different toppings or flavors to make it your unique creation.
- Flour: Most of us have an all purpose flour in the pantry.
- Nutella: I keep a jar of this chocolate hazelnut spread handy.
- MIlk: I prefer whole milk for the extra richness; however, you can use reduced-fat milk with excellent results.
- Baking Powder: Just a bit is needed as leavening to give rise to the cake.
- Add a few chocolate chips for an added rich chocolate taste.
Check out this blog post about more ways to use Nutella Chcolate Hazelnut Spread.
How to Make A Nutella Mug Cake
- Add all the dry ingredients and use a small whisk to mix.
- Add the wet ingredients and use a fork to mix until smooth. The batter will be thick
Depending on the wattage of your microwave, it takes just a couple of minutes to cook. The microwave time may vary depending on your microwave wattage. To determine if the cake is fully baked, insert a toothpick or cake tester and check for doneness.; it should come out clean. If needed, continue microwaving in 10-second increments until done.
Let cool for about 5 minutes, then ENJOY the quick sweet treat!
Recipe Tips For Making Mug Cakes
Always use a microwave-safe mug or mini baking dish. A large 12-15 pounce mug or baking ramekin works well.
To prevent the cake batter from sticking to the mug, it's essential to spray the mug or ramekin with non-stick cooking spray before adding the cake batter.
Here are a few perfect accompaniments to this gooey Nutella mug cake:
- A scoop of vanilla ice cream, although you can also pair it with your favorite ice cream flavor.
- Whipped cream is an excellent choice for a light and fluffy topping; only a tiny amount is needed.
- After cooking, top your cake with fresh berries like raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries, for a fresh and fruity twist.
- If you have leftover frosting from making a cake, you can use it to top your mug cake.
- And for a Nutella overload, add a dollop of Nutella while the cake is still warm, and it will spread out on top to make the perfect topping.
What is a mug cake?
A mug cake is a single-serving dessert typically made in a microwave-safe mug using simple ingredients. Mug cakes are a quick and easy alternative to traditional cakes, as they can be prepared in just a few minutes and don't require a lot of preparation or baking time.
Can I bake the mug cake in an oven?
Absolutely! If you prefer not to use a microwave or do not have one, it is possible to make a single mug cake in the oven. However, it's important to note that mug cakes are specifically designed to be cooked quickly in the microwave, so baking them in the oven will require some adjustments to the recipe and cooking time.
Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 15-18 minutes. Use a toothpick or cake tester to check if the cake is thoroughly cooked.
Additionally, use an oven-safe ramekin or mug to avoid the risk of cracking or breaking. Many coffee mugs are not suitable for use in the oven, so be sure to check the mug's labeling or manufacturer's instructions before using it in the oven.
Can I make the cake ahead of time?
Microwave mug cakes are best enjoyed fresh, as they can dry out and become less flavorful if left to sit for too long. However, if you want to prepare a mug cake ahead of time, you can do a few things to help keep it fresh.
One option is to prepare the dry ingredients for your mug cake ahead of time and store them in a small container or zip-top bag. Then, when you're ready to make the mug cake, add the wet ingredients and microwave as directed.
Remember that the texture and flavor of a mug cake may not be quite as good when reheated or made ahead of time, so it's always best to enjoy them fresh if possible.
How do you store leftover mug cakes?
You can store the mug cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a day. When ready to enjoy it, reheat it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds until warm.
More single-serving cakes to try
Did you make this recipe? I would love it if you left a comment or review! Be sure to sign up for the email list and follow "A Weekend Cook" on Pinterest and my Facebook page.
Nutella Mug Cake
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Nutella spread
- In a microwave-safe mug, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in the Nutella, milk, egg, and vanilla extract, and stir until well combined.
- Microwave the mug cake on high for 60-90 seconds, depending on the power of your microwave. Check it after 60 seconds and continue microwaving in 10-second increments until it's fully cooked.
- Let the mug cake cool for 2-3 minutes before digging in. Add your favorite topping and enjoy!
Thanks for coming! Let me know what you think or share a tip.