Keeping with my style of simple meals, I bring you this uncomplicated and very tasty Crockpot Sausage and Peppers recipe. Some varieties of pasta dishes cook well n a slow cooker for incredibly easy and space-friendly meals. Everything except the pasta is fully cooked when the ingredients go into the slow cooker so it's a very fast slow cooker meal. This recipe is ready in about two hours from prep to table.
A creamy and spicy Italian comfort food treat. A few minutes on the stove,then transfer to the slow cooker.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 links aidell cajun sausage, diced
- ½ onion, minced
- ½ green pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- ½ red pepper. seeded and sliced into thin strips
- ½ orange pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon
- 1 (14-ounce) box chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ¾ cups dried Ziti
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup mozzarella, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Coat a 3-quart slow cooker with vegetable spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and brown the sausage and sauté the onions for about 3 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, garlic,red pepper flakes, and oregano and saute for about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water,and heavy cream and simmer until sauce start to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the dried Ziti, and stir well to coat the pasta.
- Transfer to slow cooker, cover, and cook on high for 1 hour 30 minutes hours. Check the slow cooker after 1 hour to ensure the noodles don't overcook, you may need to cook a little less or a little more time depending on your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with mozzarelly and serve.
- if doubling the recipe, use a larger slow cooker.
- your favorite jarred sauce can be used instead of the tomatoes and spices.
Serving Size:2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 726Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 1132mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 31g
The nutritional information provided here are estimates and are not calculated by a registered dietitian.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
These simple ingredients are you need to make pasta with sausage and peppers in a crockpot.
- Sausage: Aidell sausages are already cooked and you have a variety of flavors to select, I love using the spicier Cajun style sausage. You can also use a browned ground beef and season it to your taste. If you like extra meat add a third sausage.
- Tomatoes: My go to are Pomi chopped, but you use a canned crushed tomato or even substitute with your favorite jarred sauce. if you don;t want top open a can of tomato paste for just 1 tablespoon you use a tube tomato paste.
- Ziti: The recipe uses Ziti, but it's perfectly fine to use a smaller Penne or even an elbow noodle. The pasta police won't come knocking on your door, I promise. 🙂
- Vegetables: peppers, onions, tomatoes, and garlic is all the sauce needs, however, you can add mushroom for a little extra flavor.
- Cheese: You can use all Mozzarella, or add in a little ricotta and sprinkle some parmesan on top before serving.
Coat a 3-quart slow cooker with vegetable spray and set aside while preparing the ingredients.
Heat oil in a large skillet and brown the sausage and sauté the onions for about 3 minutes.
Next, add the bell peppers, garlic, and oregano and saute for about 4 minutes, the peppers should be just a little tender but not soft.
Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water and heavy cream and simmer until sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the dried Ziti, stir well to coat the Ziti with the sauce.
Transfer to slow cooker, stir, tip with shredded mozzarella, cover, and cook on high for 2.5 hours on high setting.
When done,sprinkle with a little mozzarella and serve hot.
- Stainless Steel Skillet - My 12 inch All-Clad Saute pan is a beautiful and although it's pricey, it should last a lifetime. I've had it for many years and it still performs great!
- 3-quart Crockpot - this model is the perfect size for the two person household.
Visit A Weekend Cooks Small Kitchen Store for great recommendations on the best products to use when cooking in your small kitchen and whipping up recipes for two.
- This chicken, white bean, and sausage stew is great to use any leftover sausages
Slow Cooker safety tips from the USDA.