This is a super simple slow cooker bone-in turkey breast recipe you can make any night of the week and any time of the year. The small size makes it perfect for the two-person household. If I'm going to family or friends' home for Thanksgiving dinner I'll slow cook a turkey breast the night before. Now I'm not missing out on leftovers and can have cold turkey sandwiches the next day.
Looking for more slow cooker recipe ideas? Check out more great recipes for a small slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Half Turkey Breast Web Story
Table of Contents
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
2 tablespoons butter, softened
⅛ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon celery seed
⅛ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ small onion, sliced thin
1 (2 pounds) bone-in turkey breast
- Bone-In Turkey Breast : A 2pound , half turkey breast is usually easy to find any time of the year. If you cook a larger one then increase the slow cooker time.
- Onions: The onions impart a nice flavor to the turkey juices for a fantastic gravy.
- Carrots: I used multi-colored baby carrot. You can use regular sliced carrots or add in a few parsnips.
- Butter: The softened butter mixes easily and makes a nice easy to spread paste.
- Dried Celery Seed : If I have fresh celery in the house I'll lay down a couple of ribs over the onions and omit the celery seed from the butter mix.
- Onion Powder: Adding this won't be over powering, it just and adds another layer of onion flavor.
- Garlic Salt: I mentioned earlier I don't use much salt, but you can also use a garlic powder.
- Black Pepper:
All the details are also included in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Preheat the slow cooker while you are preparing the ingredients. Lightly coat the slow cooker insert with cooking spray.
Start with soft butter and mix in the celery seed, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. I cook with a very little salt so please add a little if you like. I use my smaller spatula to quickly mix the rub.
Lift up the turkey skin and use about ⅓ of the seasoned butter and under the skin. The remaining amount should be rubbed over the top of the turkey breast.
Slice up the onions and place them on the bottom of the slow cooker. 3 or 4 slices on a medium onion should give you enough to cover the bottom of the 6-quart slow cooker.
Transfer the bone-in turkey breast to the slow cooker and skin side up. Using a roasting rack to lift up the turkey breast keeps the meat from sitting in the liquid while cooking.
Arrange the carrots around the sides of the slow cooker. I used multi-colored baby carrots but sliced is just as good. Cook on the high setting for 4 hours.
Check the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 165° F before removing it. I do cook mine to 175° F, that's just my personal preference. Let the turkey rest for about 10 minutes transfer to a sheet pan. Broil for a few minutes, to brown and crisp the skin.
The turkey skin will crisp up nicely under a broiler, it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 minutes to get a nice browned skin.
For quick slideshow directions visit the web story for my slow cooker turkey breast recipe.
You need a 6-quart crock pot to accommodate the size of the turkey breast.
A quarter sheet pan is perfect for broiling.
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Cooking too long on too low a heat can cause a rubbery texture. This is why I cook mine on the high setting for 4 hours, instead of slower and lower.
This is perfect for two people. In my house, it's enough for dinner and then leftover for sandwiches the next day.
Nope. The juice from the turkey and veggie will be enough.
Did you make this recipe? I would love it if you would leave a comment or review! Be sure to sign up for the email list, or follow "A Weekend Cook" on Pinterest or Facebook. Also, don’t forget to join my “Facebook Group-Recipes for One”
Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ small onion sliced thin
- 1 2 pounds bone-in turkey breast
- In a small bowl mix together the soft butter, celery seed, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder to form a paste.
- Loosen the turkey skin and tub ⅓ of the seasoned butter under the skin of the turkey. Rub the remaining seasoning rub on the top of the turkey breast.
- Place the sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Transfer the turkey breast into a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Arrange the carrots around the turkey breast.
- Cook on high for 4 hours. Use an instant-read thermometer to check the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.
- When done, let the turkey sit for a few minutes and transfer the turkey breast to a baking sheet and broil (about 4-5 minutes) to brown and crisp the skin.
Check out these slow cooker safety tips and general cooking safety guidelines at USDA.gov.