Too hot to cook or maybe you just don't have enough oven space? This slow cooker cornbread bakes up perfectly in a 3-quart slow cooker and ready in just over an hour. Moist and delicious with a hint of sweetness enjoy with small batch spicy chili or my slow cooker cabbage.
Would you like a faster recipe or prefer your cornbread with crispy edges? Try my small batch cast iron skillet cornbread recipe.
Note: Cornbread made in a slow cooker won't have the same crust crispness of one baked in a cast iron skillet.
main Ingredient notes and substitutions
Full ingredient list and quantities in the recipe card.
- Cornmeal – Yellow Cornmeal is sweeter and has a stronger flavor than white cornmeal.
- Flour - the 1:1 ratio of cornmeal to flour bakes up just perfect, it's not too dense and not too cake-like.
- Sugar - Use a standard granulated sugar. I like a slightly sweet cornbread so if you prefer less sweet you can reduce the sugar to your personal taste.
- Egg - The egg makes the cornbread light and fluffy. beat the egg lightly before adding to the batter.
- Butter - I use whatever I have on hand, if using an unsalted butter I add a dash of kosher salt to the recipe.
- Milk - I use whole milk or sometime a buttermilk., but 2% is also okay to use.
In a large bowl whisk together the yellow cornmeal, flour, sugar and baking soda.
Next add in a the melted butter, milk, and lightly beaten egg.
Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until well combine but still just a bit lumpy. You don't want a perfectly smooth batter, so don't over mix.
Pour the cornbread batter into a 3 quart slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high between 1 or 1.5 hour. After 1 hour, use a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the middle of the cornbread, if it comes out clean the cornbread is done.
A moist and delicious and slightly sweet cornbread adapted for the slow cooker.
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat a 2 quart slow cooker and lightly spray the inside with vegetable oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, and baking powder.
- Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and add your butter, milk, and egg. Stir just until the ingredients are combined with only a few lumps remaining.
- Pour the batter into the prepared 3 quart slow cooker, cover, and cook on high for 1 ½ hours.
- Different slow cookers may run hotter than others, after 1 hour, check to see if the cornbread is fully cooked by inserting a toothpick or cake tester into the center, the cornbread is ready when it comes out clean.
Don't over mix the batter.
Spray the inside the slow cooker with a vegetable spray
Preheat the slow cooker for best results.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 298mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 6g
The nutritional information provided here are estimates and are not calculated by a registered dietitian.
Yes, this recipe will fit in a 6 inch cake pan. No changes to the ingredients. Bake for 20 minutes. I love cooking this cornbread both ways but using the slow cooker is great option in the warmer months.
enjoy more quick bread recipes from a weekend cook.