Here is my favorite classic old-fashioned 2-quart slow cooker cabbage recipe that will make you think you are at Grandma’s house! The smaller 2-quart crockpot or slow cooker is perfect for two people or one person who loves leftovers. Transform a humble head of cabbage into a delicious and comforting dish with this easy 2-quart slow cooker cabbage recipe. Slice the cabbage, toss it with some aromatic spices, and cook slowly until it’s tender and infused with flavor. Perfect as a side dish or served over rice, this comforting cabbage dish will surely become a new family favorite.
❤️What to Love About This Recipe
- This basic southern crockpot cabbage recipe is cooked in a 2-quart slow cooker.
- There is so much to love about this one-pot meal; it’s simple, quick, low-calorie, inexpensive, and versatile.
- Try combining green and red head cabbage for a flavor depth.
- Cooked cabbage is an easy recipe that you will make again and again!
✔ Ingredients Notes
- green cabbage: a small head of cabbage cut, and cored, and the tough leaves removed will perfectly fill up the 2-quart slow cooker. Red cabbage can also be used. You can also cook cabbage wedges.
- butter: For extra oomph, stir in a tablespoon of garlic paste to the softened butter. You can also add a little garlic powder or fresh garlic cloves.
- garlic paste: I always have one or two tubes of Gourmet Garden Chunky Garlic paste in the fridge.
- onion: white or yellow onions are standard in this recipe.
- seasoning: kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper is perfect for adding just a hint of heat to the cabbage. A touch of apple cider vinegar is also a good addition to the seasoning.
- chicken broth: To reduce sodium from canned chicken broth, replace 2 cups chicken broth with 2 cups water. Vegetable broth can be substituted.
📖 Cooking Instructions
Learn how easy it is to cook slow cooker or crockpot cabbage.
Step One: Cut the cabbage lengthwise in half. Remove the inner core and outer tough leaves. Rinse.
Step Two: Place the cabbage into a 2-quart slow cooker. The cabbage will fill the slow cooker but cooks down.
Step Three: Dollop the butter, garlic paste, and sprinkle the black pepper and salt over the cabbage. Add more pepper if you want a spicier cabbage.
Step Four: Top with the chopped onions.
Step Five: Add the water and chicken broth, then cover and cook on high for about 1 -2 hours, depending on how tender. Check after about 45 minutes to an hour and check for the desired tenderness.
- The cabbage cooks down so don’t be fooled by what seems like a lot of cabbage.
- Choose heads of cabbage that are compact and firm. They should have fresh, crispy leaves without any browning.
- Feel free to change the seasoning to what you have or prefer. Use Italian Seasoning or fresh herbs like thyme or dill for amazing flavor.
- You can also use the low setting and cook for about 3-4 hours.
🥘 Cooking Cabbage on the Stovetop
For a meal with less cook time, you can cook cabbage on the stovetop, but the flavor will be more delicate. Slow cooking helps the butter and pepper to meld with the cabbage. Also, adding a little bacon grease to the green cabbage really adds some nostalgic flavor.
🍽️ What to serve with cabbage?
- I love a big bowl of cabbage and potatoes with homemade cornbread.
- For a simple cabbage recipe, serve with just butter and red pepper flakes or add some Italian sausage or sliced Kielbasa for something hearty.
- Add in some baby carrots, red potatoes or sweet potatoes, and some crusty bread for a tasty dinner with tons of flavor.
Yes! Slice the cabbage into thin strips or chop it into bite-sized pieces.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil or butter and swirl it around to coat the bottom of the pan.
Add diced onion or garlic to the pan and sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Add the cabbage to the pan and stir to coat it with the oil or butter.
Season the cabbage with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pan and let the cabbage cook for about 15 minutes, occasionally stirring, until it is tender but still has some texture.
Slow Cooker Cabbage
- 1 small head green cabbage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ onion diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- Cut the cabbage lengthwise in half. Remove the inner core and outer tough leaves and rinse.
- Place the cabbage into a 2 quart slow cooker. The cabbage will fill the slow cooker but cooks down.
- Dollop the butter, garlic paste, and sprinkle the black pepper and salt over the cabbage. Add more pepper if you want a spicier cabbage. and top with the chopped onions.
- Add the water and chicken broth then cover and cook on high for about 1 -2 hours. Check after about 45 minutes to an hour and check for the desired tenderness. Don't overcook.