A classic old fashioned 2-quart slow cooker cabbage recipe that will make you think you are at Grandma's house! The smaller two quart crock-pot or slow cooker is perfect for two people or one person who loves leftovers.
This is a basic southern cabbage recipe cooked in a 2-quart slow cooker.
There so much to love about this recipe, it's simple, quick, low calorie, tasty, and versatile.
- green cabbage: a small cabbage cut, cored and the tough leaves removed will fill up the 2 -quart slow cooker perfectly.
- butter: for a little extra oomph, stir in a tablespoon of garlic paste to softened butter.
- garlic paste: I always have one or two tubes of Gourmet Garden Chunky Garlic paste in the fridge.
- onion: white or yellow onions are standard in this recipe.
- seasoning: kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper is perfect to add just a hint of heat to the cabbage.
- chicken broth: To reduce sodium from canned chicken broth, dilute with 1 can of water. I usually use Better Than Bouillon concentrate.
Step One: Cut the cabbage lengthwise in half. Remove the inner core and outer tough leaves. Rinse.
Step Two: Place the cabbage into a 2 quart slow cooker. The cabbage will fill the slow cooker but cooks down.
Step Three: Dollop the butter and sprinkle the black pepper and salt over the cabbage. Add more pepper if you want a spicier cabbage.
Step Four: Top with the chopped onions.
Step Five: Add the water and chicken broth then cover and cook on high for about 1 -2 hours, depending on how tender. Check after about 45 minutes to an hour and check for the desired tenderness.
Can I cook the cabbage on the stovetop?
Yes, the cabbage will cook much faster, but the flavor will be more delicate. Slow cooking helps the butter and pepper to really meld with the cabbage.
What to serve with cabbage?
I love a big bowl of cabbage and potatoes with homemade cornbread. For something more hearty, add in sliced Kielbasa sausage.
If you love cabbage like I do you might find this article from Cedar Circle Farm on using and storing cabbage interesting.