Green Bean casseroles and Thanksgiving go hand in hand, but add some chicken chunks and you've got an everyday meal. Also great made with fresh or frozen string beans. The green bean and chicken casserole is a great make ahead freezer meal.
- rice - long grain uncooked rice
- pre-cooked chicken - using pre-cooked che=icken makes this recipe super easy. If you prefer cooking the chicken yourself the I suggest using thighs because they stay moist and tender.
- cream of mushroom soup - use undiluted since you want a thick sauce. Instead of cream of mushroom soup, you can substitute cream of broccoli soup.
- cut green beans - my recipe using canned cut green beans.
- onions - diced onions
- fresh green pepper - dice fine
- onion soup mix - the classic Liptons or Knorr are easy to find.
- colby cheese - I prefer a milder cheese but you can use any cheese
- dried onions - these are optional
How To Make Green Bean and Chicken Casserole
Cook the rice and add all the ingredients except the cheese in the cooked rice and mix together. Spoon into the baking dish and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook. It doesn't get much easier.
A couple of cooking tips.
- Buy already cooked chicken from the deli section of your grocery store.
- This is a great dish to use up leftover Thanksgiving Turkey.
- If using s frozen green beans, don't thaw before cooking.
- If using fresh green beans, parboil before mixing into the casserole.
- If using canned cut green beans, rinse before cooking.
Try with some homemade bread