Green Bean casseroles and Thanksgiving go hand in hand, but add some chicken chunks and you’ve got an everyday meal. Also great made with fresh or frozen string beans. The green bean and chicken casserole is a great make-ahead freezer meal.
If you enjoy this classic comfort food meal check out the stew ladies classic chicken and dumplings stew.
- Rice – long grain uncooked rice
- Chicken – using precooked chicken makes this recipe super easy. If you prefer cooking the chicken yourself I suggest using thighs because they stay moist and tender.
- Cream of mushroom soup – use undiluted since you want a thick sauce. Instead of cream of mushroom soup, you can substitute cream of broccoli soup.
You can easily make your own mushroom sauce and avoid canned soup. It’s worth a little extra time and makes big difference.
Start by sautéing 1/4 cup of diced onions, and 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms in a tablespoon of butter. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and one clove of minced garlic cook until the mushrooms are tender. Next, add in 1/2 cup of chicken broth and 2/3cup heavy cream. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken. Stir thoroughly and use in the casserole. The mushroom sauce can be thickened by simmering just a little longer.
- Onions – slice about 8 ounces of mushrooms,
- Green beans – my recipe uses canned cut green beans.
- Onions – diced onions
- Fresh green pepper – diced fine
- Onion soup mix – the classic Lipton or Knorr are easy to find.
- Colby cheese – I prefer a milder cheese but you can use any cheese
How To Make Green Bean and Chicken Casserole
- Cook the rice and add all the ingredients except the cheese to the cooked rice and mix together.
- Spoon into the baking dish and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook. It doesn’t get much easier.
A couple of cooking tips.
- Buy already cooked chicken from the deli section of your grocery store.
- This is a great dish to use up leftover Thanksgiving Turkey.
- If using s frozen green beans, don’t thaw them before cooking.
- If using fresh green beans, parboil before mixing into the casserole.
- If using canned cut green beans, rinse before cooking.
More easy casseroles for one person
Green Bean & Chicken Casserole
- 1/3 cups uncooked rice
- 2 cups cooked chicken cubed
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup undiluted
- 1 can cut green beans drained
- 1/3 cup onions diced
- 1/3 cup green pepper diced
- 1/2 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 1/3 cup dried onions optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare rice to package instructions.
- Add all ingredients except the cheese into the rice and mix together.
- Spoon into an 8 X 8 baking dish and sprinkle cheese on top
- Lightly cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 20 -25 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle the dried onion on top and bake another 5 minutes.