Homemade dressing is perfect for the smaller household and those who can never use a full bottle of store-bought dressing. My homemade buttermilk dressing is thick and flavorful.
This dressing is creamy, full of garlic flavor & oh so delicious over a salad or used as a dip for fresh vegetables. Make a day ahead to give the flavors time to meld together and mellow.
dry buttermilk powder: I keep dry buttermilk powder handy for recipes that include buttermilk. The powder is less wasteful and I always have it handy.
granulated sugar: helps to balance the other flavors in the dressing.
spices: basil, minced onion, garlic powder are added for flavor.
dry mustard: used to give the dressing a bit of tang and tone don the mayonnaise flavor.
mayonnaise: I cook classic, and use Best Foods mayonnaise but the type is your personal taste preference.
water: used to thin out the dressing
If you think you will make this often then mix up a larger batch of the dry ingredients to make even smaller quantities easily.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl
- Whisk or stir in the mayonnaise. I like using my mini rubber spatula from Heirloom Living.
- Mix in the water. add more or less than indicated to achieve the desired consistency.
- Store in small jar covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Homemade buttermilk dressing
- dollop on fish
- serve with cut-up vegetables
- breadsticks or pizza
- sandwich spread in place of plain mayo
- and my favorite, with french fries!