In my home candy recipes kick off the holiday season. Making the peanut brittle in a microwave makes this oh so incredibly simple and for a bonus, the cleanup is a snap.
A simple old fashion dessert anyone can make
- Sugar - white granulated sugar is used for this recipe
- Corn syrup - use light corn syrup, we always use the Karo brand.
- Roasted Salted Peanuts - I buy a bag of already shelled salted peanuts, but you can also use unsalted, really depends on your personal preference.
- Butter - Salted butter
- Vanilla Extract -use real vanilla extract
- Baking soda - used to creates little air bubbles in the peanut brittle, giving it that classic crunch.
How to make Peanut Brittle in the microwave
- In a glass 4 cup measuring cup combine and stir together the sugar and corn syrup.
- Microwave on full power for 3 minutes.
- Carefully remove the measuring cup from the microwave and stir in the peanuts. Return to microwave and heat on 100% power for another 3-4 minutes. After carefully removing from the microwave using an instant-read candy thermometer to make sure it reaches the proper temperature of 300 degrees Fahrenheit to properly harden.
- Next, remove the measuring cup from the microwave and stir in the butter and vanilla. return mixture to the microwave and cook for 1 more minute.
- Next, mix in the baking soda to the measuring cup and microwave for another for about 15 to 20 seconds
- Let the mixture sit just until it stops bubbling and settles down. Pour the mixture onto a parchment paper-lined small rimmed baking sheet. Smooth out with a scraper or the back of a spoon. I spray the back of a spoon with non-stick spray then smooth mine.
- Allow the candy to cool completely.
- When candy is cooled completely cut with a sharp knife or use a hammer to break apart.
How to Store
Wrap brittle in waxed paper or plastic wrap to separate the pieces to it from sticking together. Store the cooled peanut brittle in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 weeks.
Peanut brittle also freezes well, just wrap tightly and freeze for up to two months.
Don’t store in the fridge, this will cause your brittle to soften.
How long does it take for peanut brittle to harden?
Peanut brittle will usually harden in about 30 minutes. Cool on the counter, no need to refrigerate the brittle to set it.
Why is my Brittle sticky?
The brittle need to reach the proper temperature of 300 degrees Fahrenheit so the sugar reaches the hard crack stage. It's extremely helpful to use an instant-read thermometer to make sure the sugar reaches the correct temperature.