Individual Cottage Pie recipe is a classic cozy comfort food dinner that's perfect when you just want a single serving of this classic dish. This savory pie is easy to make and uses simple ingredients. Double the recipe to share.
Great uses for leftover ground beef are my Slow Cooker Goulash Recipe for One.
Why This Recipe Works
Easy shortcuts that don’t affect the outcome of this tasty dish include using frozen ingredients that cut down on the preparation time.
Table of Contents
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ pound ground beef
¼ cup chopped onion
2 dashes salt
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
¼ cup frozen carrots and peas mix
¼ beef broth
¾ cup mashed potatoes
- Vegetable Oil: Any neutral-flavored cooking oil works well, I typically use an everyday olive oil.
- Ground Beef: An everyday ground beef with 20% percent fat is very tasty, however, you can use leaner ground beef or even a ground turkey. If you use a ground turkey increase the seasonings.
- Onion: Use a brown or white onion.
- Garlic: Fresh pressed garlic or a tube of garlic paste can be used.
- Seasoning: salt, pepper & dried thyme. Play with the spices, by adding more or less to your personal taste.
- Worcestershire sauce: This really gives the mixture a deep flavor.
- Tomato paste: I use a tube of tomato paste because I don’t want to open a can for just a couple of tablespoons unless I have another recipe I’ll be making soon that will use up the remaining amount.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is used as a thickener. (not shown in the image above)
- Frozen Peas: I buy frozen peas and sometimes a peas and carrots medley, which is perfect for this recipe. You can also add in some frozen corn. If using canned vegetables, add them in right before you are ready to transfer the beef mixture into the baking dish.
- Beef Broth: I use Better than Bouillon so I can make exactly the amount I need without waste.
- Mashed Potatoes: To make this quick and easy I used frozen mashed potatoes, they are perfect for this type of recipe. You can also, add in a little extra garlic for flavoring. If preferred, make the masked potatoes from scratch or use leftovers.
Step by Step Recipe Directions
(Note: please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the complete written instructions.)
Step One: Preheat the oven to 400° F. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
Step Two: Add the ground beef and break it apart with a wooden spoon or spatula. Stir in the garlic, dried thyme, salt,, and pepper. Stir occasionally until the found beef is cooked thoroughly, about 6 minutes.
Step Three: Stir in the tomato paste, flour, frozen peas and carrots, and beef broth. Bring to a slow boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. When done, remove from heat and set aside.
Step Four:Place the frozen potato medallions in a small microwave-safe bowl and prepare per package instructions.
Step Five: Transfer the beef mixture to a small 12-ounce baking dish. Spread out the beef mixture in an even layer.
Step Six: Spoon the mashed potatoes over the ground meat mixture. Place dish on a small baking sheet and bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
- When using fresh carrots, blanch them first. In a medium-size pan bring the water to boiling a medium-size pot of water Add the raw carrots to the pot and let boil for about 3 minutes. Remove carrots from the pot and let cool.
What to Serve With Cottage Pie
Cottage pie can be enjoyed on its own, sometimes you want a side dish to round out the meal.
- Serve cottage pie with roasted vegetables.
- A classic green salad is a good side dish to balance out the heartiness of the cottage pie.
- Fresh crusty bread is perfect for mopping up any extra gravy or sauce from the cottage pie.
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to two days.
To freeze, wrap the dish tightly in plastic wrap and over-wrap with aluminum foil. For best quality use within 2 weeks. When ready to eat, let thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the microwave or bake for 15 minutes at 325 degrees.
COTTAGE PIE: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The difference is in the meat used. Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with Lamb and Cottage Pie is made with Beef. With that being said British mother-in-law always made her Shepherd's pie
Yes, you could use ground turkey, but you will want to add additional seasonings so it doesn’t turn out too bland.
More Comforting Dinners for One
Did you make this recipe? I would love it if you left a comment or review! Be sure to sign up for the email list and follow "A Weekend Cook" on Pinterest and my Facebook page.
Cottage Pie for One
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ pound ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 dashes salt
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup frozen carrots and peas mix
- ¼ beef broth
- ¾ cup mashed potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and break it apart with a wooden spoon or spatula. Stir in the garlic, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir occasionally until the ground beef is cooked thoroughly, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, frozen peas, and beef broth. Bring to a slow boil the reduced heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. When done, remove from heat and set aside,
- Place the frozen potato medallions in a small microwave-safe bowl and prepare per package instructions.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beef mixture to a small 12-ounce baking dish. Spread out the beef mixture in an even layer.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes over the beef. Place dish on a small baking sheet and bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Broil for 2-3 minutes to brown the top. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Thanks for coming! Let me know what you think or share a tip.