Slow cooker Tuscan chicken thighs recipe is not just easy it super easy. Just toss the ingredients into the slow cooker and let it do its job. The combination of flavors will taste like you spent way more time and effort in the kitchen. My recipe is made without a heavy cream sauce.
These sheet pan roasted vegetables go great with Tuscan chicken thighs. Looking for more slow cooker recipe ideas? Check out more recipes for a small slow cooker.
A cold-weather comfort food classic this Tuscan chicken thighs recipe will quickly become one of your favorite slow cooker meals.
In the mood for something a little sweeter? Try my Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs.
Table of Contents
Ingredients and Substitutions
4 chicken thighs, bone-in, skinless
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 lemon juice and zest
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup chicken broth
- Chicken Thighs - chicken thighs are full of flavor and are the perfect portion for 2 people. Always use bone-in, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe.
- Dried Rosemary - if preferred you can use a fresh rosemary. A good rule is 1 teaspoon of dried herbs can be substituted for 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs.
- Lemon - you will use the whole lemon, the zest for finishing the chicken and the juice is used in the marinade.
- Olive Oil -
- Chicken Broth - Better Than Broth chicken base makes just enough chicken broth that you need, no waste.
- Season with Kosher Salt and Ground Pepper - kosher salt is more delicate than table salt and enhances the natural flavor of the chicken instead of making it taste salty.
See the recipe card for the quantities.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl combine the juice of the lemon ( about ¼ cup) , olive oil, and ¾ of the rosemary.
- Coat the chicken under and over the skin with the oil mixture and let sit for about 30 minutes. To coat under the skin, gently pull the skin asway from the meat ad brush the marinade under and over the skin.
- Add the chicken broth and transfer chicken to a 3 or 4 quart slow cooker.
- Cook the chicken for 4 hours on high. Insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh. The thermometer should read a minimum175 degrees.
Even without broiling the chicken will brown a little.
- Make this a one-pot meal and add halved baby red potatoes over the chicken.
- Serve with roasted vegetables and mashed garlic potatoes.
- Serve over rice.
- 3-quart slow cooker
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoons
How to store leftovers
Store in refrigerator in a covered container for up to 2 days. Reheat leftovers in the oven or in the microwave. Also great cold!
Chicken thigh meat is darker and has more "myoglobin" which contains flavor-generating enzymes and more fat than chicken breast. Also, the darker meat needs less seasoning for flavor.
Yes, you can, but the chicken will be a little less flavorful and you will need to up the seasoning.
Cook 2-3 hours on high. Use an instant thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken thighs.
when the chicken is fully cooked, place them on a baking sheet and broil for a couple of minutes to crisp and brown the skin.
Did you make this recipe? I would love it if you left a comment or review! Be sure to sign up for the email list and follow "A Weekend Cook" on Pinterest and my Facebook page.
Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Thighs
- 4 chicken thighs bone-in, skinless
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl combine the juice of the lemon, olive oil, and ¾ of the rosemary.
- Coat the chicken with the oil mixture and let sit for about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth to a 3 or 4-quart slow cooker and then add the chicken thighs.
- Cook the chicken for 4 hours on high. Insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh. The thermometer should read 175 degrees.
- When chicken thighs are fully cooked, transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with the remaining rosemary and lemon zest.
- Preheat the slow cooker
- Wonderful served roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes.
- Any cut of chicken will work well.
- Slow Cooker safety tips from the USDA.gov.
- Recommend minimum cooking temperatures.
Thanks for coming! Let me know what you think or share a tip.