I love this simple recipe, it’s my go-to for a quick and easy cream cheese pie recipe. The lemony tartness in the topping compliments the creamy filling nicely.
Start with the Graham Cracker Crust
Making crust for a cheesecake is incredibly easy! I use a simple basic graham cracker crust recipe that I’ve used forever. You can also add a little vanilla or lemon extract to the crust mixture for some added flavor.
All of the crusts I use require crushing the ingredient into a fine crumb. Two common ways to crush your graham crackers ;
- Use a small food processor on pulse to the desired consistency. This is the most time efficient manner but if you don’t have a food processor, try the rolling pin method.
- Use a rolling pin to crush the ingredient. First break up the cookies into small pieces and place in a large zippered storage bag. Lay the bag flat and start rolling, turn over a few times until finely crushed. Alternately you can cut two large pieces of parchment paper and place the small bits and pieces in between and start rolling.
I use the rolling pin method most often since I find it relaxing and it reminds me of being in the kitchen with my Mom. I think I made my first graham cracker crust at the age of 6!
Next press the crumbs into the pie plate and set aside.
Mix Up the Cream Cheese Pie Filling
Put all the filling ingredients into a large bowl and using a hand mixer, beat low speed for a couple of minutes until the cream cheese mixture is light and creamy. For extra lemon flavor substitute one teaspoon of lemon paste for the vanilla extract.
While the pie is baking mix up the lemon sour cream topping.
Let’s Make the Lemon and Sour Cream Topping
Another really simple process, in medium bowl and mix up the sour cream, vanilla extract and sugar until smooth and the sugar is dissolved. I usually just use a wooden spoon because that’s how Mom made it. When cooking in my small kitchen I try to use the fewest amount of appliances possible.
Finishing the Cream Cheese Pie
When you remove the pie from the oven let it cool down for about 5-10 minutes, then spread a layer of lemon curd and then the sour cream topping over the pie filling and return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours before serving.
A sure to please simple cheese pie with sour cream and lemon curd topping.
- 10 sheets graham crackers, ground fine
- 1/4 cup butter, melter
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup lemon curd
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or lemon extract
- Crush the graham cracker crumbs in a blender or food processor until finely ground.
- In a medium bowl combine graham cracker crumbs and butter then mix until moistened.
- Pat the crumbs into a 9 inch pie pan.
- In a larger bowl combine all the filling ingredients and beat on low until ingredients are light and frothy.
- Pour into the prepared pie pan.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon a light layer of lemon curd and top with the sour cream topping. Return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and chill in refrigerator for a minimum of 5 hours before serving.
- In a medium bowl blend the sour cream, sugar and vanilla until well combined smooth.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 494 Total Fat: 34g Saturated Fat: 18g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 141mg Sodium: 375mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 30g Protein: 7g