For a quick and easy weeknight or weekend meal whip up a pot of easy black bean soup recipe using canned beans. Keep the ingredients in your pantry and freezer for a pantry meal option. The perfect meal when you just don’t have time to run to the grocery store. Open a few cans, toss everything in the slow cooker, and let it simmer while you’re taking care of other things.
If you like my easy soup recipes then try my Easy Cheese Tortellini Soup for a Weeknight Quick Meal and single-serving split pea and potato soup.
Bake up my small slow cooker cornbread to serve with this tasty soup.
Ingredients to make black bean soup
- Bush’s Spicy Black Beans: You don’t need to use Bush’s, its just the brand I like for this recipe
- Canned Diced Tomatoes: Use a low sodium tomatoes
- Spicy V-8 juice: You can substitute a Bloody Mary mix for a good result
- Corn: frozen corn tastes the best if you use canned corn rinse to remove the extra sodium.
- Onion: Fresh onions are preferred. Onions have a long shelf life and I always have these handy.
- Olive oil: is used for sautéing the onions, you can also use butter.
- Chili powder: Adjust the amount to your personal taste.
- Sour cream or shredded cheese: This is optional but really takes the soup to the next level of tasty.
- Fresh Cilantro: Anther optional topping. I grow cilantro in my balcony garden so always have fresh cilantro handy.
- Avocado and Tortilla Chips are another great way to top this black bean soup.
- In a small pan sauté the onions until soft and mix in the chili powder. Transfer the onions to a 2-quart slow cooker and set on low. You can skip this step and put the onions and chili powder directly in the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes and stir, then add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 1.5 – 2 hours.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a rolled-up warm tortilla for a quick meatless meal.
- For a creamier soup, you can use an immersion blender directly in the pot.
- If using canned corn, add it halfway through cooking.
- For a little extra spice add in some red pepper flakes or double the chili powder.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice before topping with sour cream. The lime compliments the black beans nicely.
- Another topping to try; is sliced avocado, crumbled tortilla chips, cilantro, or a simple Pico de Gallo.
- Choose a low or no-salt version of the tomatoes and beans for a healthier soup.
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To freeze leftovers cool the soup, then scoop it into Ziploc freezer bags and freeze. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator and reheat on the stovetop, or defrost and heat slowly in the microwave.
More Great Soups to Try
Easy Black Bean Soup
- 2-quart slow cooker
- 2 cans 15-ounce Bush’s Spicy Black Beans
- 1 can 14.5-ounce diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Spicy V-8 juice
- 1 /2 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- In a small pan heat the olive oil and sauté the onions until soft and mix in the chili powder. Transfer the onions to a 2-quart slow cooker and set on low.1/4 cup diced onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Add the tomatoes and stir, then add remaining ingredients, except the sour cream.2 cans, 1 can, 1 cup Spicy V-8 juice, 1 /2 cup frozen corn
- Cook on low for 1.5 – 2 hours.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a rolled up warm tortilla for a quick meatless meal.2 tablespoons sour cream